49. Haircut

Dream POV

"Ready Dream?" Y/N squeezes my hand, her nails digging into the back of it slightly.

I smile nervously at her and glance up at the swinging sign with a pair of huge metal scissors hanging from it.

"Yes," I breathe out slowly as she pushes open the door, the rusted golden bell jingling as she does so. 

I duck under the doorway as she tugs me over to the desk which had a lady sitting behind it.

"Welcome," the woman smiles as she leans over her computer. "Name?"

"It should be under Clay, for 11 am," Y/N says, smiling politely back.

The lady nods and begins to type away at her computer while I take the time to glance around. The place is pretty well-lit, with bright lights hanging from the ceiling along with the hum of electric razors and hair dryers.

Ignoring the cracked floors and stained ceiling, the salon is pretty nice. Past the desk is the main room which has black salon chairs and mirrors in a neat row on both sides.

The place isn't that busy with only a few customers having their hair done.

I watch as a man gets an American flag buzzed onto the side of his head while a woman sitting beside him is getting her hair rolled up in silver strips.

"Ah yes here you are," the woman says which turns my attention back to the front desk. "Please follow me."

Y/N gives me a reassuring nod as she settles in the waiting area by the main desk. Wordlessly, I follow the woman who leads me past the salon chairs and to the back where there's a station for hair washing.

She gestures for me to lie down and I do so, placing my head in the basin behind me.

"Someone will be with you shortly," she says and I hear the sounds of her heels clicking on the tile as she walks away.

The seconds turn to minutes as I subconsciously fiddle with my ring to pass the time.

Finally, a different woman approaches me.

"Hello sir," she greets me with a gentle smile. Her dark brown hair has been pulled back into a bun and she wears a dark blue apron.

I nod back to her and place my head down again. She gets right to work, rising my hair with some warm water before slowly massaging shampoo into my hair.

"Coming in for a haircut?" she asks. I hum in agreement, wanting to avoid any unnecessary talking in case someone recognizes me. "That's good, your hair is a bit long."

A bit long was an understatement.

My dirty blond curls almost touch my shoulders now. And since curly hair tends to frizz, I often end up with an Afro-like hairstyle, the curls sticking up all over the place.

"It looks like a rat's nest," Y/N had remarked after I'd gotten out of the shower. "I hope they buzz it."

I'd laughed and told her I would absolutely not buzz it for the face reveal.

"Shorter on the sides, medium in the back, and long on the top so my curls show," I had told her, describing what I wanted my haircut to look like.

"Bald is an even better option," she had responded. "And maybe bleach your hair as well, that'll make the dirty blond statement true."

"I am dirty blond!" I argued to which she simply just flipped me off.

"We'll see what the viewers say when they see it."

"Your hair is very curly as well," the woman continues which snaps me out of my flashback from this morning. She proceeds to comb her fingers through my locks while slathering conditioner through them.