46. Flights

Dream POV

I hum softly under my breath and tap my foot slightly impatiently as I wait to board. Next to me is a woman holding a squirming toddler who howls at the top of their lungs.

"Shhh, shhh," the woman soothes, gently rubbing the baby's back.

Her child doesn't seem to care for this and waves their sippy cup in their tiny fist. The woman reaches for the cup but her baby swings it down furiously, whacking me on the side of the face.

I gasp at the sudden pain and press a hand to my cheek as the mother finally wrestles the cup from the toddler's grasp. A gasp escapes her mouth took when she notices what her baby has done.

"I'm so sorry," she apologizes as I lift my hand away, carefully checking for blood. "He's being really cranky today.

"No it's alright," I give her a gentle smile and glance at the toddler who is staring at me with a curious look. "He's quite cute."

"When he sleeps," the mother sighs as she puts the baby over her shoulder. "He's a little demon right now."

"Passengers with babies please board now," the flight attendant announces over the intercom.

The woman sighs with relief and grabs the handle of her large suitcase, wheeling it toward the front of the line.

"Have a nice flight," I smile and give her a small wave as she wearily smiles back.

After what feels like an hour of delays, the plane is finally ready for takeoff.

I close my eyes and stretch out uncomfortably in my seat. I push my backpack as far as it can go under the seat and frown at the amount of legroom I'm left with.

Tall ppl problems 😜

The pilot announces that we'll be departing shortly and gives the usual safety brief. I put my phone on airplane mode and gaze out the window at the people outside.

Finally, the plane begins to roll out of the gate and toward the runway. Several trucks and people wearing brightly colored vests holding orange sticks mill around as the plane comes to a short stop.

Another plane turns onto the runway first ahead of us. I check my watch and note that it's an hour and a half past the time the flight was supposed to depart.

We're not even in the air yet.

At last, the plane rolls onto the runway and begins to pick up speed. I make sure to secure the tray table as my hand clenches tightly around the armrest.

The whole plane shakes as the wing flaps begin to extend outward. The plane tilts upward as my back connects with the seat.

I gasp as the plane soars into the air before righting itself, letting out a soft whoop of glee and turning to my right to look over at the wing.

The ground shrinks beneath us, the trees looking like broccoli and the houses being reduced to tiny specks.

A wave of dizziness sweeps over me and I pull the window shade down, briefly forgetting my fear of heights.

The pilot announces that the fasten seatbelt sign has been turned off which signals the traveler next to me to get up and likely use the bathroom.

I adjusts my neck pillow and lean back against the chair. I connect to the airplane's Wi-Fi and open Spotify to pick a song.

I close my eyes as a song with a gentle melody plays, rocking me to sleep. I'm awoken by a tap on my shoulder and I fumble to pause the music.

A flight attendant looms over me. Her bright blonde hair pulled into a bun, icy blue eyes, cherry red lips, and huge eyelashes momentarily startle me before I slide my earbuds out.