Chapter 18

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, I caught a glimpse of Gabriel's figure on the terrace.

"Gabriel!" I called out, my voice tinged with a mix of relief and worry. "There you are! I've been looking all over for you. Is everything okay?".

He couldn't resist a mischievous smirk on his face. "You were looking for me, huh?" he said with a playful glint in his eyes.

Raising an eyebrow playfully. "Well, don't let it get to your head," I retorted with a smile.
"I was just making sure you hadn't gotten yourself into any trouble out here."

Gabriel chuckled, his smirk widening. "Oh, you know me," he replied, feigning innocence. "I can handle myself just fine."

"Sure, sure," I replied, a playful glint in my eyes. "Just don't go wandering off too far next time. We need all hands on deck to survive this mess."

He nodded, his playful demeanor softening into genuine sincerity.
"You're right," he said, his gaze briefly flickering to the destroyed city behind us.

"It's just sometimes... I need a moment to process everything, you know? It's a lot to take in."

I understood his need for solitude, especially in a world that had been turned upside down by a zombie apocalypse.

"I get it," I said sympathetically, "but remember, we're all in this together. If you ever need to talk or just need someone to be there, we're here for you."

As we made our way back inside the old motel,

Gabriel's looked at me, his eyes warm with genuine affection, his voice sincere. "But seriously, I'm glad I found you in all of this chaos."

His words caught me off guard, and my heart skipped a beat.

I had always admired Gabriel's courage and strength, and hearing him express gratitude for finding me felt like a comforting embrace in the midst of the nightmarish reality we faced.

"Well, I'm glad we found each other," I replied, my voice softening. "We're stronger together, you know?"

He nodded, his gaze never leaving mine. "Definitely," he said, a spark of determination in his eyes.
"And I couldn't imagine going through all of this without you by my side.