Chapter 14

As the evening sun cast a warm glow over us, I settled myself, the weight of our journey weighing heavily on my shoulders.

Lost in my thoughts, I was startled when Gabriel approached and took a seat beside me.

His expression was unusually gentle, his eyes reflecting a hint of something special.

With a small, heartfelt smile, Gabriel pulled his hand from behind his back, revealing a cake—a simple yet precious offering.

My heart skipped a beat as I realized the significance of this gesture

Today was my birthday, a fact I had almost forgotten amidst the chaos and survival that consumed our lives.

Touched by his thoughtfulness, I found my voice, gratitude pouring forth. "Thank you, Gabriel," I whispered, my voice filled with genuine appreciation. "This means more to me than you can imagine.

Together, we broke off a small piece of the cake, savoring the simple joy of the moment.

The taste of sweetness mingled with the bittersweet realities of our existence, reminding us of the fragile balance between survival and living.

As the bittersweet taste of the cake lingered on my tongue, a surge of emotions overwhelmed me.

Tears welled up in my eyes, my voice choked with sorrow. "Today was supposed to be my best day," I whispered, my words barely audible. "But today, I lost my mother. She became one of them…"

Gabriel's grip tightened around my hand, offering a steadfast source of comfort in the face of my anguish.

He spoke softly, his voice filled with a mix of empathy and reassurance. "I know it hurts, and the pain may seem unbearable right now," he said gently. "But trust me, with time, the wound will heal."

I looked into Gabriel's eyes, searching for solace amidst the sea of grief that engulfed me.

His words echoed in my ears, a lifeline amidst the darkness that threatened to consume me. Though the pain felt insurmountable in that moment, his presence reminded me that I wasn't alone.

The wounds were fresh, the grief raw, but the warmth of Gabriel's presence brought a glimmer of hope.

In his touch and unwavering support, I found strength to face the daunting process of healing.

Gabriel glanced at me, his voice filled with urgency. "You know, Athena, we're running out of time.

I'm heading outside to find us a vehicle so that we can easily make our way to the airport. Meanwhile, you stay here with them."

He motioned towards the group huddled in the dimly lit room, their eyes filled with a mix of fear and determination.

My brows furrowed, concern etched across her face. "But Gabriel, what if something happens to you?" I questioned, my voice trembling slightly.