The Witness/The Insider(44)

Bill POV

"You really screwed up this time." Marlo growled, pulling her hair down just to readjust it back up tight, "Just had to date the shiny new detective."

I shrugged, "What can I say, I like shiny things." After the line of questions I felt confident. She was more interested in my dating life and my childhood than the current crimes and charges pressed against me, which means they likely won't stick.

Especially with Pyronica as their star witness.

"So is Mr. Shiny on your side or theirs?" She asked.

"Mine." I said it but she did look convinced, "relax, he's with me. If I thought he'd turn on me I'd do something about it and you know it."

"Would you really? Because from where I stand it doesn't look like you're in any position to do shit when it comes to him." she sighed, "If I knew better I'd think you would leave all the clean up to us. Again."

I laughed, maybe she had a point, "we'll see."

When she stood up the metal chair scraped loudly against the floor. She left the room and I found myself alone again, glancing over my shoulder at my reflection once more it crossed my mind that Dipper most likely stood just on the other side of it. I wanted him on this side, I wanted him in here to talk to me or maybe more than talk.

I'd been prepared for this part of the job. This wasn't my first time in an interrogation room, but it was still my least favorite because of how boring it was.

Dipper quickly lapsed over my mind again, finding his way with that nerdy smile at the front of my thoughts and the fact that he was so different here then he was back at my place. I couldn't help but go back and forth between the two, knowing that the real Dipper lay somewhere in the middle of them. Although I did spend more time on the memories of him from last night. Or the night he'd come home from the raid, so exhausted he barely made it to the couch, when we first met and a hurricane of new emotion.

I couldn't get my mind to settle, which is not good for this situation. I need to be calm and more importantly I need to come off as more sure than the detectives running ragged trying to stick me. Yet I couldn't make myself sit after standing up. Every thought was still running in my mind, there was nothing more I needed to do, my role had been played but I couldn't relax. Why can't I fucking relax. Being in her for hours isn't so bad, yet this little annoying ass voice in the back of my mind wouldn't shut up. The constant pestering had my fingers twitching.

Minutes must have passed, maybe more, the first thing I was gonna do after this was by a fucking watch.

It was the x-emo man from before and a 6 foot faceless muscle head in uniform. The nameless cop stepped into the room with a pair of cuffs in his hands.

"Oh, you know I normally would be definitely into that kind of thing but I'm currently seeing someone and I'd need to ask him his opinion on open relationships first." I held my hands up, wrists out. The man's upper lip curled but he didn't say anything, just slammed down the metal against my skin. "Alrighty then, nevermind." He turned and barreled past the detective to get out of the room.

"Come on" growled the detective.

"He was no fun." I pouted, straightening my shoulders. Outside the door Dipper stood with his arms crossed, his eyes were cold even as they landed on me. D'Amore stood with the woman from earlier. All waiting on me, the life of the party.

The ragtag group of us walked down the hall to our mystery location, several passing men and women looked over half interested till they found me. Each time the person passing would tense up and glare hard, one man even put his hand on his gun.