Y/N ALONE - PART THREE

Y/N'S POV

"What does it mean to be an Air Nomad?"

Tenzin's voice is loud, confident, rich full of wisdom and knowledge. I can feel it in my bones and probably so can the others in the room as we novices sit crossed leg outside on the training courtyard before him. Even the wind is absent, not daring to interrupt the moment.

The question is simple. Almost too simple.

Before I can answer, one fellow nomad raises their hand eagerly.

"Yes, Xi?"

"To master airbending!"

A simple answer but not at all correct. Or, at least, not entirely.

"That is an aspect of our nation, yes, but not the main purpose of our culture." Tenzin explains. "Anyone else?"

I raise my hand.

Tenzin spots my hand instantly and gives a hint of a smile. He's trying not to play any favourites but I still noticed it. "Yes, Y/N?"

"To be peacekeepers."

The smile on the master's face widens slightly in approval. "Elaborate."

I sit up straighter to reflect confidence in my answer. "To be an Air Nomad is to strive for peace. Violence is always the last resort, no matter how dire the situation is. That is our responsibility."

Tenzin nods in further approval. "Very good, Y/N. Well done."

I bow my head in thanks and slump back down slightly. I feel a nudge to my right side, and I glance to see Kai giving me a small grin. "Nice one."

I chuckle quietly. "Thanks."

"Of course, we must not forget the other important aspect of being an Air Nomad." Tenzin continues. "Does anyone remember that?"

I frown in confusion. Is there something I'm forgetting?

At my left, I see Opal with her right hand in the air slightly but not entirely, as if she's hesitating to give her answer. She bites her lip in nervousness.

She's worried she's wrong.

I nudge her slightly. "Don't be worried. You got this."

Opal quickly gives me a nervous smile and, after a moment, finally rises her hand into the air.

"Yes, Opal?"

"That all life is sacred?"

Tenzin's smile, full of warmth, is now directed at her. "Yes, Opal. Good job."

A bright grin etches on Opal's lips, and she turns to me and whispers a "Thanks."

I give her a smile back and turn back to our airbending master. I can't believe I forgot about that.

"Years ago, my father asked me the very same question I have directed to you all and the monks asked that same question to him as well. While the times have changed, while our nation has changed, our core mission is the same. To preserve peace and life, even the life of a spider caught in its own web."

Another hand raised this time. This time I can see its from Eshah.

"Yes, Eshah?"

"What about bad people? What about the people who are evil?"