Chapter 14

Whether we want to or not, we only have one choice; get back on the bus and go to Dotty's house.

What if they are here? Check the bus. Check the bus. Check the bus!

I look around, but everyone is minding their own business, no one seems suspicious. Dalion is shaking beside me.

"Dalion?"

"There are people next to me, staring down at me and laughing." He says, with a shaky voice. Next to him there is nothing but that doesn't mean he sees nothing.

"Do you want to change seats?" He nods, gets up and steps aside, letting me out. He slides in my seat and I sit on his.

I look at the girls- Cora has her head on Annabel's shoulder, sleeping and Annabel is staring out the window. She is roaming about something inside her head.

Is she regretting coming with us? If it weren't for us she would probably be safer. It's my fault.

I sit down and fiddle with my hands. The way to Merfond feels like hours of me moving uncomfortably in my seat, cracking my knuckles and having an endless session of counting to three.

When we finally arrive at Merfond, I stop myself from sprinting out. I try to stay calm as we get our bags and get in line with the rest for the door. We immediately leave the station without looking back. When we are a good distance away, we find a quiet place to catch a breath.

"You remember the way to Dotty's house right?" Annabel asks and Dalion scoffs.

"I could find the way with my eyes closed."

The bus station is loud and crowded. There are people running; some catching up on some sleep in the waiting chairs; some looking around confused, probably trying to find their bus. With all these people, we manage to not stand out. We aren't even the shadiest group here.

The rest of Merfond is just as loud as the station. Everyone's voice is raised as high as possible, so I can hear four conversations at a time.

"Why is everyone shouting?" Annabel winces and rubs her ears while glaring at two guys laughing with all they have.

"The people around here are just loud." Dalion shrugs. "Don't worry, grandma Dotty's house is in a much quieter area."

"I think this place is really neat." Cora walks with a hop in her step.

I can probably get used to the noise. I can probably get used to a lot of things as long as I'm free. We walk and walk, until my feet feel sore and my back is hurting from my heavy bag. I didn't know Merfond was so huge.

"Guys, how about we take a break." I'm trying to catch my breath walking up a steep road.

"Do you need help with your bag?" Cora offers a hand, but I don't accept it. Her bag is even heavier than mine and her leg is still hurt.

"No need. We are here." Dalion says. In front of us there is a two-story house. It has white walls and a brick-red roof. The front door has the same color as the roof. The garden has a few tall trees, in the middle of which hangs a hamrock. A small table is surrounded by chairs with bright yellow cushions. Vases with flowers are lined up at the entrance.

"Wow." Cora says, expressing what we are all feeling. There is a faint smile in Dalion's face. And as for Annabel, there are tears welled up in her eyes.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes, yes, I just feel...happy." She wipes off her tears. I rub her shoulder and we start walking towards the house, but Dalion stops us.