Chapter 5

"This will be dangerous." I say.

"I told you already. I owe you this." Annabel reassures me.

"We will be there, but no promise we will help." Isa crosses her arms. I elbow her lightly on her arm and open my eyes wide. "Don't look at me like that. If she dies it's her fault. This is her plan after all."

Annabel smiles at our interaction before looking at the woods. "I'm going. Wish me luck."

"Good luck!" Isa says mockingly.

"Be careful." I say and she gives me a thumbs up.

Her silhouette disappears in the darkness and we are left waiting. We sit on the grass by the trees, on high alert. We can't mess up, even one second too late and everything will be for nothing. Annabel's plan is dangerous on so many levels. We can get caught, shot or even killed. What is left to lose at this point though.

Our family? All of us have lost that a long time ago.

Our freedom? We have barely got a feel for it, so we are used to being locked up.

Our lives? We don't even know what it feels like to have one.

We wait, not saying a word. After waiting for a while, distant shuffling pricks up my ears. I look over and see two figures running towards us. Time seems to slow down as Annabel appears together with the cop following her. He is around my height and lean. I crunch down and get ready, when Annabel passes by I jump from my hiding spot and tackle the man. We both fall on the ground, Isa swiftly grabs his gun from his belt and points it at him. Dalion helps me hold him down, by putting his weight on the man's legs.

While maintaining eye contact I motion Isa to bring me the gun. I get up, but the cop doesn't even try to do anything. He seems to be in his mid twenties. He bites his shaking lip, but his face has already given his fear away.

"What do you want from me?" His voice has a subtle shake.

"If you behave, you might have a chance to leave alive." Dalion says.

Pull the trigger. Pull the trigger. Pull the trigger.

We have no intention in killing him. We aren't going to do what, but we want this guy to think otherwise. I can't imagine the countless terrible things that are being said about us and everyone is buying them. Annabel crutches down close to him and turns his head towards her.

"We just want some information. Could you give us that?" The cop doesn't say anything. His eyes inspect all of us. Annabel signals me and I put the gun close to his forehead.

"I will! I will! Please don't kill me."

"We heard that the police don't want us to leave this town. You have any clue what's that about?" I ask.

"They..." He trails off. The gun in my hand touches his temple and words flow out. "The asylum is illegal!"

"What..."

"They are illegal everywhere. The town keeps it a secret even though they all know. The police are scared that you will report the place and everyone involved will get arrested."

"It's illegal, of course it is." Dalion whispers as he sighs. Chad was scared he would get arrested himself.

Everyone knew. They let us suffer. They all deserve to die. Die. Die!

"One more question and we will let you go." I say.

"Everything, just please let me go. My mother is sick at home and she won't be able to handle my death." He pleads.