Chapter 6

"The police are conducting a further investigation on the matter. The police department says that they sincerely apologize for not doing regular controls on institutions that are located in rural areas. All the patients have been taken to hospitals where they can get proper treatment. Staff directly involved have been taken by the police and are currently being questioned."

We all look at the small TV mounted on the wall of the diner. The reporter lady is saying each word calmly, looking brightly at the camera as if she is talking about the weather and not almost a hundred people that were being locked up in an illegal asylum.

We are all eating like animals. Compared to the mush they would call food, the burger and fries in front of us taste like heaven.

Should I eat this? What if it's poisoned? Someone probably poisoned this. But the others are eating and are just fine. Just eat it, nothing is going to happen.

***

After we stopped crying, we went to the side of the road waiting for a vehicle to pass by. Eventually, an old man with a pick-up truck stopped and offered us a ride to the capital. We all sat on the cargo bed, relieved that we found someone who could help. We didn't tell him the truth though, we told him that our car broke down and was stuck in the woods. Berry, as the man was called, gave us a speech about how tenagers are irresponsible, but we didn't argue and just let him ramble.

Berry dropped us off at the bus station and after we thanked him, he went on his merry way. I got Benji's money and went to a change machine. We called the police and reported the asylum on a pay phone. We were scared that they would put us back in a hospital if we reported in person. By the time we got everything done, the sun had started to come out, so we decided to rest a little bit in the park.

***

And now, we are eating at a small lovely diner, watching the latest news on the asylum. We did change clothes when we were in the bunker, but after our trip they were covered in mud. Annabel obviously didn't have anything with her, but she borrowed some things from Cora and I.

Annabel is quite tall, only a few centimeters shorter than me. Cora's clothes mostly don't fit since she is quite short, even the clothes she gave to Annabel yesterday were the only baggy things she owned. So Annabel is wearing some of my sweatpants and a plain black hoodie.

"I'm so happy." Cora says and takes a giant bite of her food.

"Eat slowly, you don't want to choke on it." Annabel advises her.

"So, what now?" Dalion says.

"We should be on high alert until the asylum news dies down." I say. "But, we will find a way to start a normal life. We also have to be cautious about our money. "

Dalion stretches his arm to Cora's plate, takes a french fry and eats it. Cora looks up and glares at Dalion in rage. Her jaw is clenched and her hands are into fists. Dalion is as scared as I am, while Annabel is just confused.

Did it trigger her to come? Is it her? We can't control her if she comes out.

"Don't you ever dare to take my food like that." Cora says and continues eating. I let out my breath in relief, thankful it's just Cora being angry.

"Jeez, it's just one fry." Dalion puts his hands up in defense. Cora glares at him and he doesn't say another word.

The TV is still talking about the asylum, showing footage of the area and the rooms. In one clip it shows a room that is identical to Annabels. I turn to her and her face is unreadable.