Chapter 67 [Haunted Village Arc]: The Patron

Their wagon came to a halt just at the entrance to Huli Village, where a crowd of no more than a hundred people stood with torn garments and filthy faces. They all huddled together, as if attempting to keep warm from the cold. Their eyes were downcast, empty of hope, but intrigued by their unexpected visitors.

Amara's gaze wandered throughout the area, and she couldn't help but feel something heavy in her chest. The environment is filled with rotting corpses. There was blood all over the place. Her heart broke when she saw the children staring at her innocently. They appear to be unaware of their situation.

Her gaze was drawn to an elderly woman covered in bruises and injuries. And that's when she decided she'd had enough. She jumped down the cart and approached the people, a tear streaming down her cheek.

They drew away from her, as if they were frightened to make physical touch with her. The elderly lady smiled softly at her. "Please do not touch us, my dear lady; we are unclean and may stain your dress."

"Inang," she said respectfully to the elderly lady. "I didn't come here with my husband to be pampered; we came here to help."

The elderly woman appeared astonished for a moment, but she still smiled at her. "We will never be able to repay you, young lady," she lamented. "We don't have any money, nor do we have any jewels or precious stones."

Amara took out a clean cloth and approached the elderly woman, who remained motionless and merely looked up at her with expectancy.

Amara then began to wipe the old woman's face tenderly and carefully. "It doesn't matter to me," she said, pulling a bottle of healing potion from her magic pouch and handing it to her. "I just want you to be healed."

Perhaps it was her feelings of grief about not being able to save her lola Mercedes, but she swore herself that she would heal everyone who needed it. That is why she agreed to Apo Lunas' proposition.

So she started working.

Raha Sitan didn't dare to intervene in Amara's actions. He kept an eye on her every move, making sure his gaze did not drift away from her.

The villagers were first skeptical of her, but after receiving a healing potion from her, they warmed up to her. She took off her sandals and stood barefoot like everyone else.

He watched how Amara made such efforts in helping strangers.

How fortunate he is to have such a kind wife who looks after the people.

But he knows she can't do it alone, so he got out of the cart and carried the enormous cooking pot that his wife was attempting to carry.

Amara stared up at him, her eyes wide, as if she couldn't believe he was assisting her. He was wounded by her expression, but he eventually laughed at her, "My dear wife, do you think your loving husband would leave you alone to do all these things?"

"But, my dear husband, I think I can handle it on my own," she argued.

"I believe you can carry it without my assistance," he says, but he doesn't want her to take such arduous task even if she is strong enough. "However, a good husband should always help his dear wife."

Her ears began to tingle, and she turned away from him. When she spoke to him, her tone was awkward: "Then please clean it so I can cook a rice porridge." He recommended adding some meat to the porridge, which she also considered. "Is it okay if we put a lot of meat that we brought with us?"

"I don't see any problem with it; I think that's a good idea," he replies with a smile, encouraging her that everything is fine. "I'll clean the pot while you prepare the ingredients, my dear wife."