Chapter 21 [Evil Forest Arc]: Intentions

Amara jolted awake from her nightmare when she heard a bloodcurdling scream.

She has no idea where it came from, but it could have come from the monsters.

The scream erupted once more, this time higher pitched. She was so terrified after having heard it over and over that she trembled.

But Raha Sitan only cuddled her from behind, covering her with his robe and mumbling, "My wife, go back to sleep."

"Did you hear those wails, husband?"

"Those are just monsters fighting over a prey. Evil monsters in Panganib Forest live through survival."

She turned to face him. "What if they attack us right here? I can hear them."

Raha Sitan opened his eyes only slightly to look at her. He then gave a sinister grin. "Ah, then they must be working hard right now to get here."

She was taken aback when she heard this. "What are you saying now?"

"I set traps at the cave's entrance; they may have gotten caught with it, which is why they're screaming right now."

She whined to him. "Can't you just make them stop screaming, my husband? I want us to sleep peacefully."

Raha Sitan apologized to her as he flicked his fingers once, instantly halting the screams.

Amara twitched her lips. "If it was that simple, couldn't you just use magic to keep the sound from reaching our ears?"

Raha Sitan kissed the side of her head lightly while speaking softly to her. "I admit that I am not the perfect husband for my dear wife, but I will do my best, and I will not repeat the same mistakes; next time, I will not let you hear their screams."

"Husband, are you still drunk?"

"I believe so," he admitted. "Are you feeling cold?"

Amara shifted to her side, leaning against his chest and burying her face in his shoulder. "A little bit. How did I turn you into my bed?"

"I awoke earlier and I thought you might be cold lying on the cold floor, so I had you lean on me to keep you warm."

"Is that correct? Have you eaten yet? I left some meat for you to eat."

His hug on her tightened. "Yes, it was delicious, just like how my mother used to make it for me."

Amara didn't bother breaking the hug because it kept her warm and comfortable. "I'm delighted you enjoyed my cooking.

"You also braided my hair," he added, his voice slurring. "I should have washed my hair before letting you touch it because it was filthy."

"Despite its state, your hair is as smooth as silk and as soft as cotton."

"My wife, you should sleep right now," he said quietly to her. If there was light, his ears would be red. Thank goodness she can't see his face right now.

Amara wanted to say more about how marvelous his hair is, but her eyes began to blink. She soon fell asleep and closed her eyes.

Amara woke up to the sounds of snapping twigs and unknown falling objects when morning arrived.

Manong was making fire and above it was the giant pot. When his gaze met hers, he simply shrugged and pointed lazily towards the path to the lake. "Father said you should take a bath and meet him outside," he spoke the word father with contempt, as if it revolted him too much.

"Why?"

"That I don't know, mother." He also spoke the word mother with the same disdainful tone.

"I'm going to tell your father how you treated me right after I woke up," she threatened. "And you wouldn't be sitting there making the fire if I hadn't pleaded with him to spare your life yesterday."