Letters to an Unforgotten Lover

Once you got home you fed Challan again and took a warm shower.

After putting on a thin white nightgown, you walk outside into the garden and sit on the edge of the fountain with Challan resting peacefully on your lap.

Taking out your phone, you call Ryo, who answers on the third ring.

Ryo

Ryo: hello?

"Ryo.. I need your help with something. And you better not lie to me."

Your teeth grind together a little awaiting his response.

He sighs softly, knowing you aren't playing around with him.

Ryo: What is it? Did something happen?

"Ryo. Is Carlisle alive?"

Ryo: yn....

"Answer me. Is he alive?"

He sighs again.

"...Ryo?"

Ryo: yes.

Your breathing stops temporarily.

'How long did he know? Why didn't he tell me?'

Ryo: I found out two days ago when I first started working at the hospital. I happened to see him and... the name matched your description of him. I swear I wasn't trying to hide anything from you yn! Please believe me.

It feels like your heart is tearing in half.

'He's been alive this whole time. He.. he was alive way before you. It would make sense why he moved on from your death so easily. You were nobody in his life, just a passing glance. A forgotten phase.'

Ryo: yn don't do something stupid because of how you're feeling right now. I know you. And I love you too. So please..please, wait until I come home okay? I'll be there soon.

You don't speak. You don't even move.

Ryo: yn.. yn listen to me. Don—

Call Ended

You couldn't hear his voice anymore. He knew that he was alive and didn't tell you. You've known each other for so long. He knew how much you loved Carlisle, and still kept the fact that he was alive away from you.

"I can't- Challan.."

You look down at your fluffy companion, still sleeping.

"Challan.. what do I do now? I feel alone, happy, and upset at the same time."

You let out a strangled laugh, and place Challan on his pillow in front of the fountain before walking off into the woods.

Carlisle

Closing the office door, I sit down on the leather chair behind my wooden desk and place the box of letters beside me.

I open the top drawer and pull out the false bottom revealing the different jewels, dead flowers, perfumes, and hair accessories. All once belonging to her. It's been over 100 years since I've last laid eyes on her. The most beautiful girl I've ever seen.

Pulling out another piece of parchment, I began to write for her.

Yn,

My love, I have gone many years without your presence. It's hard, almost unbearable living without you. My restless soul yearns for you. I wish for you to be back in my embrace every day, hour,minute, and second that goes by. I'm sorry it's taking so long for me to join you in the afterlife. I wonder if you're upset at me for being late again. You used to say that "being a few minutes late is one thing so I could forgive you, but being hours late is something different entirely Lily."Sometimes I wonder if I've failed you as your lover... As your man. Please forgive me yn, for I have wronged you.

And with that, I end the letter, fold it, and place it gently into the neatly decorated golden box.

Leaning back into the chair, I allow my thoughts to be consumed by memories of her.

Her dark curly hair, her soft warm brown skin pressed against mine, her smile, her brown eyes. She was perfect.

Those sweet memories soon turn dark as I remember the night she died. I couldn't even save her on her birthday. I'm pathetic.

I allowed that man to have his way with her all because I wasn't there. And when I arrived it was too late.

She was already gone.

Killing the man that killed her wasn't enough. It didn't satisfy anything.

I should've been there.

'But you weren't.'

I should've died instead.

'You should've.'

"I know yn...it's my fault. I couldn't even be there on the day you needed me most."

I remember having to bury her. It rained. Nobody was there for her. It really goes to show just how cold her life really was.

I open my eyes to the ceiling above me. "Come back to me yn."

Yn

You stop in the middle of a meadow and look around.

The moon shines full, above the clearing. You lay down and stare at the stars surrounding the moon.

"Carlisle.. I'll find you. No matter what. I'll tell you about our baby too."

"You deserve to know."

The stars shine brighter.

'Our baby is smiling upon us.'