47. Hey There D̶e̶l̶i̶l̶a̶h̶ (Y/N)

Start from the beginning

Smells like a barbecue, common for Florida, but not here.

"Y/N?" He steps back slightly and lets go of her as she looks up in confusion. "Do you smell smoke?"

She frowns and sniffs the air for a brief second before her eyes grow wide.

"My pizza!"

Dream wheezes as she dashes back into the apartment. He tugs the suitcase after him and picks up the penguin plush and bouquet from their place on the floor.

"Y/N?" He drops his stuff off in the living room. And heads down the only narrow hallway which he assumed leads to the kitchen.

After stumbling over a random stack of cardboard boxes in the middle of the hallway, Dream finally finds Y/N in the kitchen.

"Everything okay?" he grins at her sad face as she holds a frying pan over the garbage.

"There goes dinner," she sighs. A black triangle which Dream assumes is the pizza slice, slides from the pan into the garbage.

"Wow, it blended right in with the pan," Dream jokes, hoping to get a smile out of Y/N.

It works and the corners of her lips twitch upward as she places the pan back on the stove.

"Now what?" Y/N walks over to Dream and leans against him once again. "What else am I supposed to do for dinner?"

"Order pizza?" Dream shrugs. He places a hand on top of her head. "Hey, shouldn't your fire alarm have gone off?"

His gaze trails to the ceiling which has a small hole with wires streaming out from it.

"Uh, yeah, about that," Y/N giggles as she notices him staring at the ceiling which was covered in burn marks and grease stains. "Ethan was supposed to be fanning the smoke away but he decided to show off his NBA skills and smacked it off the ceiling."

Dream chuckles at the image of Y/N frantically cooking while Ethan fans the smoke alarm with his hands.

"Anyways, I can't order pizza," Y/N groans. She walks into the hallway as Dream trails behind her. She expertly navigates the boxes while Dream still trips over them a third time. "Too expensive. Just like rent."

"Really?" Dream watches as she collapses on a worn leather sofa. "I know New York has one of the highest costs of living in the state."

"2,500 dollars a month," Y/N sighs. "For one bedroom, one tiny kitchen, one bathroom, and this living space." She gestures around the living room which only has a couch and chair seated in front of a TV.

"At least the view is nice?" Dream steps over to the window and peers into the dark night.

"This room is the only place with a decent view," he jumps at the sound of her voice so close. When he turns around, Y/N is standing right next to him, leaning against the window sill. "And my bedroom of course. The kitchen has a nice view of the garbage dump which makes it convenient to just toss the trash out the window."

Dream smothers a laugh as another ridiculous image of Y/N pops into his head.

"Bathroom, luckily has no window."

"God, how many tenant laws are being broken right now?" Dream chuckles as she watches Y/N open the window to reveal the fire escape. "One day someone's gonna come to crack down on the place."

Y/N rolls her eyes as she sticks one leg out the window.

"They can start with the Hispanic family two doors down who are definitely over the maximum capacity limit. I've counted at least 10 kids, 6 adults, 8 teenagers, and 4 grandparents."