"Would you like anything to drink?" she asks, all business professional. "We have coffee, tea, soda, water, juice, alcohol, beer, wine."

"Uh water is fine," I flash her a nervous smile as she pours some water from the bottle. "Thank you."

The flight attendant smiles again as she passes me the cup of water half filled with ice. She also hands me a small blue packet of pretzels.

"Enjoy the rest of your flight!"

I smile again and nod gratefully as I crinkle the plastic between my fingers.

Pretzels.

The guy sitting next to me returns and notices my water and bag of pretzels shoots me a puzzle expression.

"Oh, the flight attendant just came by," I say lightly. "I'm sure she'll be back though."

The man doesn't really react to my statement. Instead, he just retrieves his laptop from his bag and plugs his headphones into the jack.

I shrug and go back to listening to my music. While munching on my pretzels and sipping my water, the familiar sound of a guitar strumming sounds.

A smile crosses my face as I turn the volume up.

Hey there, Delilah
What's it like in New York City?
I'm a thousand miles away
But, girl, tonight you look so pretty
Yes, you do
Time Square can't shine as bright as you
I swear, it's true

I close my eyes, leaning back against the seat, feeling the faint vibrations of the airplane and the sound of the engine.

I think about Y/N, probably sitting in her New York apartment right now. Likely playing games and screaming at the top of her lungs.

Maybe she's streaming.

Maybe she's sleeping.

Hey there, Delilah
Don't you worry about the distance
I'm right there if you get lonely
Give this song another listen
Close your eyes
Listen to my voice, it's my disguise
I'm by your side

The rest of the song fades as drowsiness and sleep soon overtake me.

New York, Y/N, I'm on my way.

Maybe I'll sing you this song when I get there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The plane bumps against the runway before the sound of rushing air surrounds us. The plane comes to a halt and the passengers unnecessarily clap for the successful landing.

Wasn't that smooth. No reason to clap.

The plane slowly makes its way down the runway and toward the gate. Practically the second the plane has entered the gate, over half of the passengers stand up, despite the warnings of the flight attendants, and begin to grab their things.

Particularly, the man sitting next to me, who grabs his backpack from under the seat and his black travel bag from the overhead compartment.

I just calmly pull out my phone and switch it off airplane mode. Immediately, tons of texts, calls, messages, and notifications flood my Lock Screen.

I casually swipe through the less important notifications and find several texts and calls from Y/N, asking if I was at the airport.

I notice that it was over an hour ago and feel a twinge of guilt at forgetting to tell Y/N my flight was delayed.