chapter 25

It felt like time in this room sat completely still.

Maybe it did. Y/N didn't know for sure.

She could feel her fingers going numb. Holding Heizou's hand from under the table, she felt three brief squeezes. Y/N heard of it before, but she never really knew the meaning of that action.

I'll ask Heizou afterwards...

Strangely, Kusanali was nowhere to be seen.

"Alright. First issue, both Heizou and Ayaka students of the academy. Care to explain yourselves?... Or... since Ayaka swallowed that razor blade... Care to explain yourself, Heizou?" Ms. Paimon folded her arms over her chest, cocking her head to the side.

The redhead pulled out his backpack pulling out several books. Morax's eyes widened at the contents, seeing some of his stolen textbooks.

Xiao shot Morax a glance from across the table, forcing him to bite his tongue.

"Long ago, witchcraft existed and was practiced frequently in Mondstadt. One example of this was the Hexenzirkel, a group of witches that would conduct explorations in Irminsul." He flipped the book open to a page depicting the group, sliding it to the middle of the table. "One of the members of this group was a woman that went by the codename Gold."

"Gold practiced the Art of Khemia." Albedo stated. "Something that I was intrigued about for awhile. The Art of Khemia was utilized during the Cataclysm of Khaenri'ah, and produced synthetic life forms. The synthetic life form Gold produced was me, Albedo Kreideprinz."

Focalors looked oddly focused. "And how does this connect to the case?"

"All of you are no stranger to Gold, considering you signed a contract with her to conceal your identities as archons." Scaramouche glared at his mother. "Isn't that right, Morax?" His gaze now shifted to Morax.

The geo archon's eyes widened, an impressed look on his features. "Yes, that is right. It was for the best."

"For the best!" Istatroth mocked. "Be fucking for real, Rex. If that isn't the biggest piece of bullshit you've said, I don't know what is!"

"Where were you when your descendant died?" The brunette asked.

"Order! Order in the court!" Focalors yelled. "Both of you need to stay civil, or so help me..."

"Along with that, you had her make another synthetic life form. A recreation of the deceased Mondstadt citizen, Lisa Minci. Is that true?" Heizou asked.

Scattered voices across the table could be heard across the table before Paimon stopped them all. "Unfortunately, yes. Gold never told us the reasons for why she wanted to insert one of her synthetic life forms in this school, but we agreed nonetheless."

"Are you aware that she was performing witchcraft?" Y/N rested her cheek in her palm, placing her elbow on the table.

"N-"

"We had a hunch. Isn't that right?" Barbatos directed his attention to Morax.

"Do you have any proof?" Focalor's voice was curious, as if she was trying to lead the conversation along. Not that Y/N minded.

Xiao pulled another book out of his bag, a file contained between the pages. "B/N gave this to me after he noticed something." He flipped to the page with the file, the teachers gasping.

The teal-haired male opened the file, showing a photo of Lisa along with the rather grizzly photo of a witch's carving. "A rose that was engraved onto a witch's skin. These engravings would typically turn purple after awhile and would never heal. As seen in this photo, you can see the purple skin on her arm along with a bit of the engraving."