chapter 19

Heizou regretted giving her a copy of his house key.

She wouldn't have walked home alone if that weren't the case.

As he slowly creaked the door open, he slipped his shoes off and shut the door behind him. "Y/N? You in there?"

She wouldn't have gotten that text.

~

[REDACTED]

[REDACTED]
Y/N, is it?

Y/N
Yeah... who is this?

[REDACTED]
A classmate. Listen, I heard about your little mission with Heizou.
I heard that he invaded your personal life a bit.
I hate when people do that, don't you?

Y/N
It's private. I don't appreciate you invading it either.
I need a name from you.

[REDACTED]
I can't offer that to you. To be honest, I'm a bit afraid of you.
You're not who you used to be, Y/N.

Y/N
I don't know what you mean.

[REDACTED]
You're not the perfect, innocent little girl anymore. Ever since you've gotten involved with Heizou, you've been far too carefree.
What happened to higher education? What happens if your grades start slipping?
What would mommy and daddy do if their perfect little girl wasn't doing as well anymore?

Y/N
How much did you overhear?
I'm going to block you if you don't give me a name.

[REDACTED]
How terrifying.
Not as terrifying as your pale, fragile, starved self at the beginning of high school.
Stop hanging out with Heizou. It's for the best.

Y/N
I'm blocking you. Goodbye.

[REDACTED]
Wait.
I'm willing to meet with you, alright?
You'll know who I am by then.

Y/N
I can't meet with anyone. It's far too dangerous right now.

[REDACTED]
It'll be in a public setting. I promise.

~

"Y/N, why'd you leave?!" As soon as Heizou saw her in his room, he rushed towards her. "Who are you texting?"

"None of your business." She deadpanned. "You're really just itching to know everything about me, aren't you?"

Heizou's eyes dulled. "When were you going to tell me?"

Setting her phone down, she finally looked up back at him. "About what?"

"About your family almost killing you, dammit!" Balling his hands into fists, the frustration he felt was surging. "Why didn't you tell me, Y/N?..."

"I didn't want to concern you with it. There was never a good time." She looked back at her phone, texting a few things to a number he could not see.

Blinded by rage, he snatched the phone from Y/N's grasp. "Could you please listen when I'm talking to you? I'm worried about you, Y/N!" He felt the phone vibrate in his hand, and despite her protests, he looked at the screen. "Who is this?... Why are they texting you like this?! You couldn't tell me about this either?"

"Give me my phone back! Gosh, you don't need to know every little thing about me!" Y/N tried grabbing the phone from him, to no avail. "It's just a random number, okay?"