CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

STRATOS

I stepped out of the lift, my mobile buzzing over the past three minutes. I left my suitcase in front of my flat door, took it out of my pocket, and accepted the call.

"Stratos, did you get there?" asked Steven.

I weariedly leant against the wall. "Yes. How are things there?" I asked.

"Like I said, I'm gonna stay in Warsaw for a few days. I'll thoroughly search for Matthew, Aaliyah, and Neocles's history. I'll let you know as soon as I lay my hands on something," he assured me.

"Alright. Keep me posted. I'll take over their search in Greece."

I hung up, sat on the steps, and looked at the door of my house with a snort. How would I get in there? How would I muster up the courage to see my devastated buddy and the others? I wish I could turn back the time; I wouldn't have undertaken this case and we would still have Aphrodite with us. I logged on the informers' app Celia had made. I called her and Joram. They popped up on screen with masked faces. That was a prerequisite for whoever used the app. No informer would know who he or she was talking to. Only I knew them.

"Search is yielding results. I've got news for you. I travelled to Warsaw. I discovered that Neocles Kostopoulos, the suspect we were about to take off the list, was born there and his family environment hides some roots of Nazism," I informed them. "A1, dig into his life. Find the most trivial thing about him," I ordered Celia. "A2, look into the prostitution ring, grease some palms, and find all the Greek Nazi organisations and members. Everything!" I commanded Joram. "I want all this information tonight. The psycho will be arrested before his anniversary. That was a serious mistake on his part, killing one of my folks," I vehemently said through my teeth.

"What?" they exclaimed in unison.

"Do your job. We'll speak tonight."

My eyes were glued to my buddy. He was like a baby that was looking for care. How could such a thing ever happen to this man? He was a fighter. He had laid bare so many scandals. He was a sensitive person struggling for diversity, the truth, and the protection of citizens from filth. He didn't deserve that. However, as I was so just and open-minded, I had to face reality. These were the consequences people like us had to deal with. We were going through the greatest pain as we wanted to reveal the truth. There was nothing selfish and immoral about our practices. We were actuated by the freedom of the truth and justice.

"Baby," exclaimed Daphne in a low voice. "You're back!"

I shot everyone a glance. "Can you leave me alone with Elias?" I asked, putting my suitcase down.

"Yes," replied Aristea. "Let's go sort your things out and fix something for everyone to eat," she announced.

She got hold of my suitcase as I rested my hand on her shoulder. "Thank you," She looked at me and silently nodded. Her eyes were gloomy. Death had haunted her so early.

I sat at the table opposite Elias. "Friend, I promise to find him," I whispered. I pulled him by the neck, throwing my arms around him. He clung his body to mine. He held on for dear life. "I've learnt a lot in Warsaw. We're gonna crush him!" I promised.