CHAPTER SEVEN

STRATOS

I fluttered my eyelids, rubbing my lips against the pillow. I couldn't feel Daphne's weight in my arms, so I sat up, looking right and left. I tousled my hair pensively. Where was she? I thrust off the bedcovers. It was then that I noticed her clothes and stuff were gone. The real reason she disappeared came rushing in. What the hell was going on with her? What did she think, damn it? Did she take me for such an immature jerk?

I quickly opened my closet, grabbed a pair of jeans and a jumper, and got dressed. I wouldn't let her go away for such foolish reasons — things only little boys obsess over.

I banged on her door, but she wouldn't answer. "Daphne, open the fucking door! I know you're in there," I shouted irritatedly. The knocks grew louder. "Open up, damn you! I'm gonna pull it down, you hear me?" I yelled, pissed off.

I took a few steps back and threw myself on the door. I stormed in beside myself. Silence reigned. I walked into the bedroom. The closet was open, clothes scattered all over the place and on the bed. She ran away for a stupid reason! I took out my mobile and dialled Dionysis's number. Only he could help me right now.

"Any news?" he asked the moment he answered my call.

"That's not why I'm calling you, Dionysis," I replied. I snorted, rolling my eyes. "I need a favour."

"What happened?" he wondered.

"I want you to give me a hand with a disappearance."

"Who's gone missing? Aristea?" he asked worriedly.

"No, no, my sister's alright," I assured him. "I want you to find Daphne Syrigou. She's an author and my girlfriend. She uses public transport. She doesn't drive. I suppose it's a matter of time before she boards a plane, bus, or train," I surmised, pacing up and down the room agitatedly. "I want some of your men immediately. They can go searching for her in central stations. Whatever is to be done will be done in a few hours."

"Send me a recent photo of hers and I'll do the best I can, pal. Not because you asked for a favour, but because you sound panicky. You've never sounded like that before."

"That's kind of you. I'll be waiting."

Two hours later, Dionysis kept his promise. He found her for me. She ran away to Salonica to escape me and what she was afraid to deal with. I packed up some stuff and entered Larissa Station. I was going to bring her back, even against her will.

After a gruelling six-hour journey, I was in Aristotelous Square. I caught a cab for Ano Poli. When I found the block of flats, I rang the bell of her best friend, all hot and bothered.

"Who is it?" I heard a female voice and her best friend Lydia answered the door.

"I need to speak to Daphne," I asked, trying to sound calm.

"There's no Daphne living here," she flatly refused.

"Call out Daphne or I'll barge in and carry her on my shoulders," I threatened, my voice reaching a crescendo. "You hear me, Daphne?" I yelled. "Come out now, damn you!"

There were footsteps and her figure turned up at the far end of the corridor. "What d' you want here?" she asked, hiding behind her friend's back. "How did you find out I'm in Salonica?"

"I'll leave you alone," announced Lydia and disappeared.

"I'm a journalist. I'll find you wherever you are. Take a jacket and let's go for a walk. We have to speak," I stated with determination.

Bleeding Expection by Ada Andrews  | #TheWattys2023जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें