CHAPTER NINE

Kalavrita, 1945

One night before the murder

The worn black military boots rattled across the gorge stones. The narrow Vavarikon Gorge was our refuge, the shelter for every guerrilla who struggled to defend Kalavrita against the Asfalites that were still in cahoots with the Germans. They burnt down the entire town, but this wasn't enough for them. They wanted to torment us. High treason in your own country in the name of money and ambition. They believed they were doing the right thing. They were too blind to see. They were destroying their country and its morals. They were despicable. My back caved in under the weight of my M1 rifle. I pulled its cord, straightening up my body. The Greeks didn't bow, kneel, or bend in war. I wondered how my wife and children were doing. Where did they hide in order to survive? Was Aglaea worried about my life and what the future would bring? So many questions that would remain unanswered. I was sure she was shaking like a leaf, but that's what war is all about. Those were its repercussions. You had to play hide-and-seek every single day. We got into the tunnel of the railway station, water running underneath our feet. It sounded fierce, as if it strove to oppose the regime of destruction too.

"Stergios, we're going to hide in here for tonight," the chief commanded. "The tunnel is a great cover, and so is the sound of the water."

"Yes, sir!" I obeyed.

"Gather them together. Arrange shifts and pitch the tents. I'll scour the place for any traps with the rest," he informed me. He took two guerrillas and headed towards the stream and gorge in the dark.

Policemen who, in cahoots with the Germans, betrayed and killed Greeks for the sake of the former.

                                                                   ......................................................

Diamonds Family  new chapter .  The dark get darker and darkest every chapter.  U are my audience and i know that many u you are lovers and fanatics of crime fiction from my firstly funfictions.