His Best Man || DR3

Request: the reader is married to Daniel's close friend but their marriage is hanging by a thread. The driver invites her to a few races so she can change the environment, they spend some time together and unexpectedly become lovers. And maybe later her husband is trying to fix their marriage but she and the driver can't stop thinking about each other Warnings: 18+ only, nsfw, alcohol, cheating, smutWC: 7.6k

Dinner with James was a quiet affair, though it shouldn't have been a surprise. Why would your anniversary be any different when his indifference was the only constant at this point?

You watched as he smiled at his phone, something you hadn't been able to elicit from him in months, before he locked the device and placed it facedown on the table. The sigh that wanted to exhale from your flared nostrils barely remained silent as you focused on shifting the food around your plate, your appetite gone like the connection to your husband.

"Daniel sent us some passes to the race in Melbourne next month. I thought we could go, make a little holiday out of it?"

There was no excitement in your tone, it was more a question borne out of politeness because he would have seen the paddock passes sitting on the kitchen side if he ever looked away from his phone. The blasted device vibrated again and his fork clattered on his plate in his rush to read the incoming message.

"Well?" you asked as his thumbs flew across his screen.

"Can't. Work project is going to keep me busy until the deadline," he answered without looking up. "Take one of your friends, have a girls trip."

Friends...those people you never saw anymore because James hadn't liked them, though he never outright said it, those friends who had warned you that you were marrying a narcissist.

"It's our anniversary," you reminded him. "You know, falls on the same day each year."

"Mhmm, yeah," he nodded, clearly not listening. "Sounds good."

You propped your elbow onto the glass tabletop and dropped your chin onto your palm as a familiar burn of resentment simmered in your soul. "The mailman gave me a pearl necklace."

"That's nice. Put it on my credit card." He reached into his back pocket and tossed his wallet across the table, narrowly missing the glass of rosé.

You opened it and saw the polaroid from your wedding day no longer sat in the clear card slot but was stuffed behind his drivers licence. You shouldn't have felt hurt after months of being ignored but the pain still surprised you, almost as much as the condom that you found with his cash. He hadn't bought a box of condoms in at least three years, not since the wedding when you started trying for a baby - something that was probably best that it didn't happen.

"He must eat a lot of pineapples because it tasted delicious," you murmured as you took his cash and the platinum credit card too.

James nodded and pushed his empty plate away. "Yeah, tasted good, thanks. Need to finish this project." He rose from the table with his phone and started to make his way down the hall to his office. "Don't wait up."

"Wasn't planning on it." You had a trip to plan.

You weren't going to have a girls weekend but you were going to Melbourne. He may have been James' friend first, but no one had the ability to turn a bad day (or year) around like Daniel could.

When you arrived in Perth you hadn't expected Danny to be the one personally waiting at the airport. It was impossible to miss him with the amount of people that surrounded him, asking for pictures and autographs before he spotted you stepping out of customs.