11 - Poolside Confession

Short Author's note:

Starting next week, I will be updating 1 chapter every saturday of the week. If I'm in a good mood, then I'll make it 2 chapters, maybe even 3 ;)

---

Chris and I walked into the pool area. The oblong shaped pool was crystal clear. The water slides were dry, but we could turn it on if we wanted to.

We dipped our toes in the pool.

"I wish you'd swim with me." Chris said, his expression was sad.

I have aquaphobia. Fear of swimming in water. It was triggered by a traumatic experience 4 years ago.

"I want to but I can't." I replied.

Chris was still a little boy, he didn't understand why. Considering that I treated the water as my second home. But that was before the incident.
Just dipping my toes in the water almost brought tears in my eyes.

I've always loved the water. But I hated it for taking him away from me.

I took a deep breath. I tried to stop myself from crying.

"Cathy, are you okay?" Chris looked up to me, his eyes were full of worry.

"I'm fine." I smiled at him. "Im just gonna sit there." I gestured to one of the chairs near the pool.

He nods. I stood up and walked towards the chairs and sat down on one of them.

Suddenly, Chase walked in.

"Here you are." He smiled when he saw me.

I smiled back and tapped the chair beside me. He walked towards me and sat down.

He looked at my feet and frowned. "You went for a little splash?"

"Yeah." I replied.

"You know you don't have to force yourself. Take your time." He encouraged me.

I sighed. "I miss him. I thought that if I went for a splash, I might connect with him or something." I said sounding hopeful.

He wraps his arm around me and I placed my head on his shoulder.

"Instead, I remembered what happened. I only have myself to blame."

"Don't say that. If he heard you, he would feel sad." Chase said.

I felt the tears slowly trickle down. Chase just patted my head.

Jace and Vanessa suddenly entered. I quickly wiped my tears away.

Vanessa gaped at the pool. She quickly walked towards Chris and sat beside him. They laughed and dipped their toes together.

Jace walked towards us. Chase stood up and said, "I'll go get some drinks."

Jace arrived. He just stood there and stared at Vanessa and Chris.

"Sit down." I told him.

He sat down. He looked at me and asked, "You okay?"

"I'm fine. No need to worry." I replied.

Jace nods and he finally looked at me. "You missed practice today. Are you sure everything's fine?"

"I had a little headache." I replied and looked away.

I glanced at him and he didn't look convinced. Yet he didn't pry.

"You've been hanging out with Vanessa lately." I said.

"Yeah, she's been following me everywhere."