15 - Smells Like Rain

I sat there, shocked and speechless.

"But Jace, I know that there's something going on with you and Vanessa." I said.

"Catherine, listen to me." He said and grabbed my hand. "There's nothing between Vanessa and I. We're just friends."

"You held her ha-"

"You haven't heard the whole story yet." He replied.

I shut my mouth. He's right. I judged him right away, when I know that all these years, he has never kept a secret from me.

"Okay. I'm listening."

He explained how Vanessa set him on a treasure hunting quest, picking up clues until it lead to her. And when he arrived there, she grabbed his hand and confessed. Right when I arrived.

"Are you contented now?" He asked me. As I looked into his eyes, the usual icy blue shade was slowly melting.

"Hmph, I guess so." I shrugged and looked away.

"Are you not satisfied? This dashing, handsome, dreamy, amazing young ma-"

"Shut up Jace." I laughed.

"Man is deeply in love with you. It's always been you Rine. Always was and always will." This time, I really had to look at him.

I stared at him. At this beautiful face. His amazing jaw line, cool blue eyes, silky black hair, and beneath all that, an amazing, sarcastic and silent man, whom I also love.

He smiled and offered his hand, "So, will you be mine Catherine?

"Are you deaf or what? Didn't I say that I love you?" I said as I grabbed his hand. My heart was racing and happiness was practically oozing out of me.

"Not the answer I expected, but that should do." He said and smiled at me. It wasn't his usual smile. It was a smile that illuminated pure bliss and happiness. I can't help but smile back.

"You just made me the happiest man in the world." He said and leaned in.

---

We walked back to the parking lot. His hand in mine.

"You look like you applied too much powder or ate too much tomatoes." Jace told me.

"Shut up." I told him and looked away, feeling embarrassed.

He laughed and I laughed too.

When we arrived at the parking lot, I saw Jace's black Rolls Royce and two men standing beside it. Turns out it was Chase and Zylen.

"Took you long enough." Zylen smirked.

"We had some confusion to clear up." Jace laughed.

"What are they doing here?" I asked, slightly confused.

"Ohh, I get it. You don't want us to ruin you little date. Okay then, Zylen, let's just walk home and leave these two love birds." Chase said and grabbed Zylen and started walking towards the exit.

"No! Of course not. I was just wondering why you're here. Don't you have your own car?" I replied.

"Yes I do, but I misplaced my keys." He said and opened the front door. "Shotgun."

I sighed and rode the back with Zylen.

Zylen grinned at me as I sat beside him.

"What are you smiling for?" I asked.

"One minute you were crying, then the next your radiating happy vibes. Make up your mind woman." He said.

I laughed slumped back.