Chapter 10

I'm here, sitting in a tent, waiting for it to start. I've already chosen my dragon, I've got the hardest one, the Hungarian Horntail. My plan is to conjure up some meat to distract them, and if that doesn't work, I'm going to wing it. Let's hope the first one works with minimal use of the second plan.

     Okay, my turn, and I walk out of the tent. The dragon has yet to see me, so I conjure up some meat and wait. She walks over to it, and I use the rocks as cover to hide from her. I'm pretty close to the egg when she turns around quickly, and it looks right at me.

     Shit, I put my hand up slowly while walking backward toward some other rocks.

     "Easy girl, I've got no intention to hurt you. Just need that fake egg right there."

     She got closer to me, and I thought she would eat me before turning to the meat again, taking the chance and sprinting toward the egg. She turned her head and saw what I was doing. She tried to use her tail to get me, but I slid under it and grabbed the egg.

     I took my jacket off and wrapped it around me and the egg so I could use my hands easier. Once done, I saw her head coming right for me as she breathed fire. I went under her head and near her leg.

     I cast a spell to make a duplicate egg appear while climbing her body. I knew it wasn't going to occupy her for long, so I was on her head when I knew she'd roar upwards in anger.

     As I predicted, the Horntail roared up, and I jumped off the head to see where I needed to get to. I did the spell that moved you through the air to the destination you saw and was thrown onto the platform where all of the other champions were.

     "Shit." I quickly stood up while breathing heave. There were only a few cheers in the crowd, but I was still shocked I was alive.

     I was walking back from the task when I heard, "You okay?"

     Turning, I saw Theodore next to me.

     "Yes."

     "You sure? You looked a little pale when you finished the task."

     "I thought I was going to die, and the spell I did took a lot out of me."

     He nodded before grabbing my arm and bringing me into an empty corridor.

     "So, the Yule ball is coming up. You've got a date?"

     "No, I didn't think anyone wanted to come with me."

     "But your wrong."

     I knew he was going to ask me. I heard him talking to Draco and Blaise about it when I was coming back a few days ago.

     "That's one thing you got wrong."

     "I've gotten stuff wrong before."

     "Well, you can tell me everything you've got wrong while we're dancing during the ball. So, will you come to the ball with me?"

     I smiled at that and was about to ask him if I had a choice when I heard a camera click. I turned my head and saw Rita standing there with the camera in her hands. Great.

     "This is bullshit," I muttered quietly. Theo was next to me because, apparently, being his date meant I couldn't be anywhere without him. I already figured out what the next task was by recognizing the water symbols on the bottom of the egg.

     "What's bullshit?" Theo asked.

     "The article Rita wrote. I didn't mean to say it out loud, just stressed."

     "What's got you stressed?"

     "The next task is going to have you underwater. I've got an hour to save you. Then I've got to get a dress for the ball that I can afford. And a lot more I don't want to talk about." I meant to include the affording part, trying to see what he'll do.

     "What do you mean afford?" Theo notice.

     "I'm technically an orphan, so the only money I have is the stuff I made. Sirius hates me enough not to give me any money, so I have to find a nice dress that no one can tell is from a second-hand store, as that's all I can afford."

     "No, you can use my money." Not the answer I expected, but it's not one I thought about either. I expected him to leave me without a date or something like that.

     "You sure? I can find a dress that won't embarrass you."

     "I won't be embarrassed if you show up in a second-hand dress. I just thought the Yule ball should be stressless and something that should be special."

     I was looking at him to see if he was lying. He wasn't, and I thought without thinking it entirely through, and hugged him. It was quite, but I wasn't too mad that I didn't think it through entirely. God, I like him too much.

Word count: 832