29. My First Love

Start from the beginning

"Next summer, I am not leaving my bed." She says.

I murmured in agreement.

~

That night, I was seated at the dining table when mom placed a bowl of Teriyaki Chicken and fried rice on the placemat before me.

"Hmmm, this smells delicious." Dad stated.

He was accurate. This food smelled like heaven.

"I've been looking at recipes on Pinterest." Mom says. "Tomorrow night, we're going to have homemade lasagna." She smiles as she takes a seat and begins to dig into her food.

"Wait, you have Pinterest?" I queried.

"Sally from across the street was telling me about it. She says she makes all of her food from Pinterest recipes, so I thought that I would give it a go." She says.

I take a forkful and cautiously put it into my mouth.

The food tasted nice. Much nicer than it looked, that's for sure.

"Hmmm, this is good." I complimented, taking another forkful.

"Thanks." Mom smiled.

An awkward silence ensued as we each continued to eat our dinners. After finishing off dinner, mom headed back into the kitchen to get dessert, which she also made from looking at a recipe on Pinterest.

"I made apple pie." She says, placing the pie on the table.

That's my cue to leave.

"Ugh, gross." I grimaced.

"Oh, I'm sorry sweetie, I forgot that you don't like apple pie." Mom apologised.

"No, it's fine. I was full, anyways." I get up from the table and head towards the stairs.

I get upstairs and decide to have a nice warm shower before getting ready for bed.

Today was exhausting. I thought to myself. Sleep was calling me.

After showering, I hope into bed and reach onto the bedside table for the book that I was currently reading. I only had a few chapters left of 'The Hate You Give', and I was hoping to finish it before reading something else.

I've read a lot of books, and I usually always read every book twice, except for 'Twilight', which, in my opinion, was straight up whack.

What kind of vampire sparkles? I rolled my eyes just thinking about it.

As I get into continuing the chapter that I had left the book on last night, my phone vibrates like crazy from the bedside table.

Boyfriend is calling....

I bookmark the page and set it aside as I look down at the phone screen.

I answer it before it could go straight to voicemail and I place the phone to my ear.

"Charlie?" His voice came through, causing my heart to palpitate.

I take a breath before replying.

"Hi." I say, awkwardly. "Um, h-how are you?"

Why am I being so weird?

"Much better now that I'm talking to you." He says. "I've missed you."

"I miss you too."

An awkward silence followed.

"I am so fucking sorry, Charlie." He says. "I was a complete idiot."