4. 🍕, 🍔 or 🍟

Charlie's POV

I woke up from a one hour nap to find the house empty.

I did not intend to fall asleep. While the group began discussing the party, I decided to go upstairs and read one of the books that I had brought with me, only to end up testing out my new bed for the summer, only to then end up asleep.

So there's the story of how I fell asleep and woke up to an empty house.

Maybe they went swimming?

I walked to the back porch, which had a perfect view of the beach. The backyard was small, and it also held a swimming pool, which I just found to be quite odd.

Why would a beach houses have a pool in it's backyard when there is literally an entire ocean right there?

I'm sure the architect has the answer I'm looking for, but for now I'll just have to throw that question into the back of my mind.

There were a few bodies scattered along the beach, none of them were familiar.

I returned back inside and went to see if there was anything to drink in the refrigerator. Of course, the refrigerator was empty, which made sense seeing as the Caldwells probably haven't been here in awhile.

I pulled out my phone and texted Ace.

Where are you?

I hope they're getting food. I would totally kill for a slice of pizza right about now.

As I waited for him to respond, I took it upon myself to slump down on the sofa with my legs dangled over the arm rest.

Maybe they went into the city and forgot about me.

Went to the mall, didn't want to wake you 😘

Ace Caldwell, such a romantic.

How long will you be?

He was quick with responding.

Bout to head back now

Can u bring me something to eat ❤️ I texted.

What's the magic word?

I rolled my eyes.

Pleaseeeeeeeee.

Three dots appeared which indicated that he was typing.

That's more like it.

🍕, 🍔 or 🍟?

This guy uses way too many damn emoji's.

Pizza and loaded fries pls

It took him a minute to reply.

Okie dokie, 🐝 home soon ❤️‍🔥

I started responding before even realising what I was doing.

Love you ❤️

Of course, I was quick to delete it.

We've been dating for months, sure, but it's been pretty slow. I don't think we were at that stage yet, well, I don't think he was. And I can't just say those words for the first time via text, that's just stupid.

I smacked myself in the forehead as I let out a prolonged sigh.

I reached for the tv remote and channel surfed while waiting for him to return.

Half an hour later, give or take, they returned with far too much crap in their hands. Adelaide held the door open for everyone. Ace held a takeaway bag in his right hand while gripping a box of pizza in the other. The rest of group carried bags of... party supplies?

Oh right, they're planning on throwing a party tonight.

Yay! I sarcastically thought to myself with a mental eye roll.

"Dinner is served." Ace smiled at me, placing the pizza and the takeaway bag on the dining table.

I walked over and immediately began to satiate my devouring hunger. If I had to wait any longer, I probably would have starved to death.

"Thank you." I said between bites of my pizza slice.

"Don't talk with your mouth full." Ace told me.

Blah blah, etiquette and blah.

On god, this pizza is everything. It's like a literal cheesy heaven in my mouth right now.

"Ahhhhhhhhh!" I heard a squeal of excitement.

I turned around to see two unfamiliar people in the entrance.

"Oh my god! Hiiiiiii!" Adelaide squealed back at them, running and giving each of them a hug.

They must be old friend's of Adelaide's...

"Hey guys!" Ace hugged the unfamiliar girl.

"Damn Ace, you look amazing." The girl stated after releasing him from her embrace.

"So do you, Vaeh." He returned the compliment.

He then turned to the guy and gave him a firm hug. "It's been awhile." Ace said.

"Yeah, it's been too long." The guy said.

"Everyone, this is Isaiah," Ace introduced his friend. "and this is his older sister Nevaeh."

I wonder how close they are with Ace.

No, Charlie. There's no need to be jealous, they're probably just old friends of Ace.

I don't know why I felt instantly jealous, maybe it was because they were both absolutely stunning, and I was just meh. And they seemed very close with Ace.

"This is, Ella, Tom, Ryan and Clayton. That's Nora, and this is, my friend, Charlie." Ace patted me on the shoulder, as if we were buddies.

Friend?

I mean, I knew we weren't telling people, but it kinda hurt a little.

"Nice to meet you both." I forced a smile at both of them before nervously taking a fork and stabbing it into the loaded fries.

"So, what are you guys up to?" Nevaeh wondered.

"We're gonna throw a party." Adelaide responded.

"That sounds great! Can't wait."

"Maybe we should go for a swim before the party?" Adelaide asked everyone.

"Hell yes!" Isaiah was quick with his response.

"I'm down." Nevaeh said.

"Yes, this LA heat is killing me." Ace groaned.

They all started to the back porch to head down to the beach when Ace turned around.

"You coming?" He wondered.

"Nah, go ahead. I'll stay here." I responded, turning back to my food.

I heard his footsteps approaching from behind.

"Come for a swim." He implored, slightly nudging my shoulder.

"I'm eating." I replied, taking another stab at the loaded fries with subtle annoyance and frustration.

"Okay, come and join us when you're finished eating." He said, giving me a quick peck on the cheek before darting towards the ocean.

I slumped back in my chair and sighed.