16. The Charlie Meltdown Show

Ace's POV (a few minutes before)

I glared over at Sam as I downed the rest of my beer.

What part of 'Stay Away From Charlie' did this asshole not understand?

I slipped out of Allegra's grasp and walked towards the cooler that was seated next to Sam. "I think you should leave." I say as I reach for another ice-cold beer.

"I just got here." He says, cracking open his can of beer with his teeth.

"I don't give a fuck." My voice was calm and stoic with a hidden tone of fury as I stood before him.

"What exactly is your problem?" Sam asks, rising from his seat to match my stance.

"You." I shoved him in the chest.

"Woah, Ace! What are you doing?" I heard Adelaide's words as Sam steadied himself.

"Are you jealous your little boyfriend might like me?" Sam whispered so that only I could hear him.

How the hell did he know? Did Charlie tell him about us? Is this why he was openly flirting with Charlie? To get back at me for hooking up with his crush a few summers ago?

I bit the inside of my lip before clenching my right hand fist and smashing it against his cheek.

Charlie's POV

Ace and Sam were fighting!?

"Guys, stop it!" Adelaide ordered, her words falling on two pairs of deaf ears.

What the hell had happened while we were gone?

Ace's left hand clung to Sam's collar as he repeated punched him in the face. I was actually shaking, and completely stunned as I stood there with my jaw dropped.

"Alright, break it up guys." The guy that Allegra had arrived with says, forcing himself between Ace and Sam.

Sam wiped the back of his hand across his bleeding lip, chuckling at Ace, which aggravated him further.

"Ace! What the hell?" I shouted.

As Ace turned to face me, his scowl faded as he panted. I shook my head at him, annoyed at him for fighting.

"Sam, don't!" I heard Allegra's annoyingly squeaky voice as Sam swung a fist against Ace's cheek.

I clasped my mouth with my left hand as I gasped.

Quickly, I rushed to get in between them before Ace could restart the fight again. I didn't want my boyfriend to get in trouble by the police and probably end up in juvie.

Ace's clenched fist rose high, ready for another swing as I came into his eye line.

"Stop!" I warned him, my hand to his chest.

His jaw and lips were tensed as he flared his nostrils.

"Yeah, Ace. Why don't you listen to your little boyfriend?" Sam expressed disdain towards Ace before spitting blood into the sand.

What?

Was Sam joking or did he actually know about us?

And he just outed our relationship to everyone.... Well, everyone who didn't already know.

He outed Ace.

As someone who was outed, red hot anger flared inside of me. I scowled, turning around to look Sam in the eyes before punching him in the face myself.

Afterwards, Allegra and that Connor guy drove Sam home as the remainder of the party sat in the living room in awkward silence, not including Ace, who was currently sat upstairs in his bedroom.

"So... you and Ace?" Nevaeh wondered, both of her eyes brows raised with curiosity.

I nodded my head in response.

"I ship." She says.

"How did Sam know?" Adelaide wondered, looking to me for an answer.

I shrugged my shoulders. I honestly had no idea... Maybe he witnessed us making out the other night? Or, maybe he was just throwing a guess?

I rose from my place on the couch and headed on upstairs to check on Ace. My fist still hurt from punching Sam. Upon reaching his bedroom door, I halted, unsure if I should knock or just walk on in.

"Ace?" I called, knocking softly against the door.

He didn't respond, so I cautiously twisted the handle and slowly opened the door.

He was sitting on his bed, his bare tattooed back facing me as he held his head in his hands. I walked slowly towards him.

"So... tonight was crazy." I say as a silence-breaker.

"Did you tell Sam about us?" He asked me.

"What?"

He turned to face me. "Did you? You've been pretty close to him lately."

"I didn't-"

"Honestly, I'm not in the mood. You should just go." He cuts me off, averting his gaze.

"But-"

"Just fuck off!" He fumed, his words echoing.

I just stood there, completely dumbfounded as my breath caught in my throat, taken aback by his words.

Why was he taking his anger out on me?

"Why are you being like this?" I asked him, holding back tears.

"Seriously, Charlie. Just get out." His tone was sharp and final.

I scoffed, shaking my head at him. "Fuck you." I take my leave, the tears I had been holding back were now falling down my face as I walked to my room and locked the door behind me, slumping down with my back against the closed door.

Somehow, everything always seemed to be my fault.

I pinched at my left arm furiously, a million thoughts racing through my mind.

I'm the problem.

I'm pathetic.

Best Vacation Ever! Yeah right, this vacation was turning out to be the worst.

I inhaled a breath, hoping to calm my raging storm of a mind.

"Screw this!" I snapped, pushing myself off of the floor and starting towards the dresser.

I pulled out all of the clothes that I had packed and threw them onto the bed before getting down on my knees and reaching for the suitcase beneath the bed, angrily snatching it.

I unzipped it and began to pack my things.

I just wanted to go home.

I pulled my phone out, unlocking it and clicking on the Uber app to order a ride home. Sure, I lived hours away, but one lucky Uber driver was getting a great tip tonight. After ordering an Uber, I stormed towards the bedside table and reached for my phone charger, shoving it into my suitcase before zipping it shut.

I flipped it vertically and started dragging it towards the door. After unlocking the door, I wheeled the suitcase down furiously down the stairs, eager to just get the hell out of this place.

"Charlie?" I heard Ella's voice as I walked towards the foyer. "Where are you going?"

"Home." I snapped.

"Home? What are you talking about?" Nora came into view, followed by everyone else.

Guess they're here to see the Charlie Meltdown Show.

"I'm going home." I repeated myself, this time I had taken my anger out on them.

"Do you need me to drive you?" Ella wondered.

I sighed. "No, it's fine. Have a good summer, I'll see you when you get back." I turned on my heels and dragged my suitcase to the front door.

Despite it being summer, it was rather cold outside tonight. My breath turned to steam in the air as I waited for the Uber to arrive.