Welcome to reality

6 months later...

I jumped slightly when the door to my office was pushed open. "Shiraishi-san," I looked at the young policeman, he wiped a bead of sweat from his forehead. "Excuse me for disturbing you, Shiraishi-san, but the chief of police sent me to you with an order," he cleared his throat, "you are to take charge of a hostage situation."

"Hostage situation?" I rose from my desk and smoothed my shirt down, "Give me the details while we're on our way." As I walked, I grabbed my jacket, which I threw on carelessly as we left the room together.

I haven't had any rest for a few weeks. Almost two months ago, I had completed my studies at the police academy and was working as a certified police inspector now.

I was glad I had even made it this far. Six months ago, I would not have dared to dream of even getting back to normal life because my chances of survival had been about forty percent.

Was that a miracle? I was a very lucky person because surviving a meteorite impact was an art. I had been in the training room when it happened. The impact had thrown my body several meters onto the Shibuya crossing, where a piece of metal had penetrated my chest. I had been even more lucky, the damage to my lungs was minimal, but I had been dead for several minutes when I was found. I had spent three weeks in a coma and another two months in hospital for therapy and treatment.

I was discharged at the end of the third month with a 100% healing. After that, I had returned to my studies, only to graduate early.

And now I was here, one order after the other ended up in my compartment, even if it didn't really bother me. I loved my job more than anything, my days were very interesting, I wouldn't trade it for anything else. In addition, I earned good money, which helped a lot, especially at home.

Mom's immune system is weakened, and she is getting sick all the time, which meant she couldn't work. Doctors said it was the stress she had been going through for the past few months, which is entirely possible. She hadn't even left my side, for which I was eternally grateful.

Luckily, she's been better for the past few weeks, which was a bright spot in that regard. I hoped things would continue to improve; I didn't like seeing my mother suffer.

Now I wanted to give that back to her by working even harder so that she didn't have to worry about the financial means. I also got rid of my student debt because the government paid each survivor compensation, which in my case was quite a large sum.

Emotionally, however, I had to take it hard. My best friend Nanami had succumbed to her injuries, a steel post had pierced her heart, she had died at the scene of the accident. I cried all night when I was told. Somehow it felt like I was to blame.

Why? I had no idea.

I've gotten better at it now; it still hurts to think about it. Things went uphill, I settled into my new life, but... somehow, I wasn't happy. Right from the start I felt like I was missing something important, just that I couldn't put my finger on it.

"This way, Shiraishi-san," the policeman held the door open for me and I stepped outside. Numerous cars were already waiting on the driveway, I was led to the first one and sat down there on the back seat, a colleague I know was already waiting there.

"Kuro-san," I greeted him. He got his license the same day I did, but he worked in the criminal investigation department. We had already worked together several times, since the work often built on one another.

"Nice to see you again, Shiraishi-san," he leaned back as the car started and began to move. I brushed a strand of hair from my face and looked at him expectantly.

"Well, the occasion is not very pleasant. We are on our way to Tokyo Central Hospital. A hostage situation has been reported, an angry father is said to be holding a child in a room", I held my breath in shock, "The child must get treatment as soon as possible. However, the doctors have no chance of getting even a little closer to the man. He is also said to be armed."

"Do you know any more details?" I wanted to know, "Where did the kidnapping take place exactly?"

Kuro-san nodded. "On the fourth floor. The premises are difficult to storm, the Special Police has been requested. You are in charge, Shiraishi," he looked at me, "We have complete confidence in your abilities."

Operational Command?! Which pig came up with that? It was a shitty job, to put it mildly, when organizations like the Special Police were involved.

"And everyone knows about it, except me?" Kuro just looked at me pityingly while I took a deep breath.

I didn't mind big jobs, precisely because they always paid extra, but still it was a bit... a lot? I'd only been in charge of operations in smaller circles so far, so it was going to be a personal challenge. What great prospects... And then there was a life at stake.

"Well..." I cleared my throat slightly, "Do you already know which team will be there?" Kuro nodded and handed me a file. One look was enough, and I groaned. I couldn't have been unluckier, could I?

"Team red?" he just nodded, and I leaned back. Hell, it was going to be even harder than I thought it would be.

I looked out the window, the huge hospital was getting closer. I felt an uncomfortable tingling in my stomach. Yes, I'd spent time here too, it still felt like yesterday.

The car braked abruptly; I saw the other emergency vehicles. Countless officers were running around, the Special Police was waiting for their orders and onlookers had gathered, some were filming, others were standing at the barrier with their mouths open. I opened the vehicle door and was immediately greeted by a police officer who gave me a red protective vest. I slipped it on and laced it up before making my way to the officers.

"Shiraishi-san," the leader of the red team, greeted me with a nod. I bowed slightly. "Aguni-san, it's been a long time. I'm looking forward to a good working relationship," I turned to the team, "We're proceeding as follows: First of all, let's get an idea of ​​the situation, I don't want to take any risks. Then we'll see how we continue."

One of the men gave me a critical sideways glance, which I skillfully ignored. I was used to being looked at like that.

"According to information the man is armed, the child needs medical attention ASAP", I turned to Aguni, "We must be extremely careful not to harm anyone."

He nodded and I turned around. Then I gave the signal, and everyone started moving.

Our destination: The fourth floor of Tokyo Central Hospital.