The Fall of the Kingdom

---------------------------------------------------

Soldier keep on marchin' on

Head down 'til the work is done

Waiting on that morning sun

Soldier keep on marchin' on

Head in the dust, feet in the fire

Labour on that midnight wire

Listening for that angel choir

You got nowhere to run

You wanna take a drink of that promise land

You gotta wipe the dirt off of your hands

Careful son, you got dreamer's plans

But it gets hard to stand

Soldier keep on marchin' on

Head down 'til the work is done

Waiting on that morning sun

Soldier keep on marchin' on

Quiet now, you're gonna wake the beast

Hide your soul out of his reach

Shiver to that broken beat

Dark into the heat

~

Fleurie's song came to mind as I walked down the red aisle.

I'd listened to that song a lot when I was in high school, somehow it gave me comfort when I wasn't feeling strong enough. Even now it somehow fit again.

I wanted it to be over. My strength was gone, I felt vulnerable. The face card games were a different level, I had understood that by now. It was no longer the number cards that held the numbers ace to 10. The level of difficulty had now increased by a hundred, they were much more demanding physically, mentally, and emotionally.

I was glad when it was over.

"-is it taking that long?" I shifted my gaze ahead when I heard Niragi's annoying voice. Just then, I made eye contact with Ann, who was studying me with wide eyes. "Oh god, Shiraishi!", she came up to me and grabbed my shoulder, "What happened to you?" I grinned crookedly. "I was almost frozen," I said. "No kidding, my hallway was a freezer." Niragi looked around curiously. "Where did you leave that nuisance?" he asked, and I couldn't help but grin. "She's on her way out, we'll meet her at the finish," I replied, "A warning to you Niragi, she's got her claws out. She's already wearing her sexy underwear, so she wants to lay you down today."

His eyes widened in horror, and I chuckled as we started walking again. I was glad that I wasn't alone anymore.

The gray room came into view, and we exhaled in relief. Now there was only one test left: the awarding of points. It was the decision of life and death that was about to take place.