CHAPTER EIGHTEEN: ELICIA

The next day I went to work as usual, all doom and gloom in my sweats not bothering to look good.

As soon as I got out of the changing room I saw Treadway serving coffee and a piece of red velvet cake to a lady who seemed familiar. The lady was sitting with a little girl around the age of 6-7 who was smiling widely at Treadway.

After doing a double take I remember the lady from the days I first saw Treadway, she was the lady I thought was Treadway's wife.

Maybe she is, who knows?

That's probably why he rejected me, because he has a wife and kid. He was looking at the little kid so lovingly, he never looked at me that way.

"Excuse me?" A man says and I turn my head to see who it was.

"Ryan, mom!!!" I exclaimed looking at them.

"We thought we would stop by before our surgery. How's my little girl doing?" Ryan said as he patted my hair.

"Didn't you guys say you had a surgery at 9?" I ask mom recalling her saying that.

"We did, it got shifted to 12, Ryan has a seminar early this morning from 9 to 11." Mom informs me as she took out her card to pay.

"Okay." I said swiping her card and handing her back.

Whenever they came they always ordered the same things, iced tea and honey biscuits. After ordering they went to sit close to where Treadway was talking to the young lady.

"Treadway!" My mom acknowledged his presence as she sat down with Ryan.

"Good morning Ma'am, Sir." Treadway greets both my mom and Ryan bowing slightly.

"I am fine, how are you. Happy New year by the way." my mom says.

"I am alright thank you. Happy new year to you too." He says a bit awkwardly.

After finishing with the order I went to deliver it at mom's table and unfortunately Treadway was still there chit-chatting with mom.

"Thank you Ellie." Ryan said removing a few books that were on the table creating space for me to put their food.

"Enjoy." I said smiling a bit and turning around as quickly as possible to go back to the counter.

"El watch out!!" Treadway shouts grabbing my right hand to stop me from bumping into Andre who was holding a couple of steaming hot coffee mugs.

He pulled me back so hard that I ended up smashing into him causing us to both lose balance and fall.

I fell right on top of him centimetres away from his face. I did not waste time standing up and muttering a thank you before rushing to the changing room.

As soon as I got in I let out a few breaths I had been holding, my heart was pounding and my cheeks were flushed from the close proximity.

After a few seconds of inhaling and exhaling I hear a soft knock on the door.

"El, are you okay?" Treadway asked his voice filled with concern.

"Go away. I don't want to talk to you." I say tears threatening to fall.

"Okay but your mom is worried." he says and I open the door walking past him to mom.

"Sweety, are you okay?" mom asks and I nod smiling only to have a tear fall.

"Baby, come here." she says standing up and I walk towards her. She embraces me and I cry my heart out.

Why did he have to come to work today?

I thought he had quit, I had tried getting over him but now that he was here I was back to square one.

It hurts, a lot.

"Why don't you go home Ellie, we will try to talk to your manager." Ryan informs me but I shake my head.

"No, it's fine. I am fine, I was just startled that's all." I say wiping my tears and fixing my uniform.

Mom tries to protest but I win the argument.

After the incident work continues as usual although I could not help but stare at Treadway every chance I got.

Mom and Ryan finished their meal and bid farewells to both me and Treadway before going to work.

I was like a moth drawn to a flame, the whole day was me following him around although being discreet. The lady and the little girl spent almost the whole day in the cafe. The whole of lunch break Treadway was seated with them talking, laughing and enjoying themselves; my day could not get any worse.

They left around four and the young lady left Treadway a brown envelope, probably money just like the last time.

The little girl kissed Way multiple times and so did Treadway before leaving.

Did he even listen to my voicemails?

Now that I think about it I feel so pathetic about crying in his voicemail.

I thought Treadway felt something for me,

was I just getting ahead of myself?