CHAPTER SIX: ELICIA

I head home with a smile of victory and butterflies in my stomach.

As soon as l got home, we made supper with mom and ate.

"How was work?" she asked as we finished eating.

"Work was okay, l came straight home after." l said.

"It usually takes 10 minutes but you took 25 today. Did you stop by somewhere?" she asks curious.

"No l didn't l just came straight home." Now that l think about it l spent more than 10 eavesdropping on his conversation, not that l heard anything.

"Jason and Maddie came looking for you." My mom informs me.

"I told him not to come looking for me." l say my voice distasteful.

"You never told me what happened between you two. You and Jason were inseparable."

"l don't want to talk about it Ma." l say and continue to eat.

"How come Jason doesn't come over anymore did you guys have a fight or something?" mom presses on.

"Quit it ma, can't l have a quiet meal for once in my life? If you are not asking about my depression you are all into my business, just stop." l say banging the table and soon after I head to my room.

Tears were now streaming down my face, I did not mean to shout at her but it just happened.

When I get into my room l replay what happened between Rooftop and that man, his stepdad.

I feel sorry for him, Rooftop.

Does his stepdad blackmail him to get money? I wonder as I sit on the window staring at the rooftop of the abandoned house.

As I wipe my tears I spot a figure climbing to sit on the edge of the abandoned house.

Rooftop.

Why was he there, it's already past 10 doesn't he go home?

Now that l think about it, l haven't been at the window past my bed time.

A week follows and l see him again and again.

Does he sleep there?

l question myself a lot before one faithful evening l sneak out of the house to go see for myself.

When l reach the roof top, l spot him sitting with a black coat over him.

I tiptoe close to confirm if it's really him and as soon as l confirm it was him his eyes fly open and he aggressively pins me against the wall with a knife to my neck.

At first l see my life flash right before my eyes which makes me open my mouth and mutter a thousand apologies.

I get the small privilege of seeing the outline of his face, he is covered up still.

But,

His features give off the pretty boy vibes. I hope l get to see his face clear as day some other day.

"Who are you?" His raspy voice breaks my trance by asking still gripping me so hard.

l can't seem to find my voice instead l apologize again and he loosens his grip.

"You are a girl?" his voice softens and his grip loosens.

l can start to see why he thought l was a boy or a man, it was dark and the hair that I tied back, the jogger and sweats I was wearing were not helping my case.

I took this chance to wriggle myself from under his grip and quickly ran away not looking back.

I was thankful he did not follow me; I was not ready to face him at all.