Chapter 38 - forgive me

Author's note/disclaimer: this is completely fictional and made up, absolutely no one would ever do anything like this at work, it's okay guys don't worry, everything's fine.

"Forgive me, father, for I have sinned," Trent murmured in the confessional booth at his local church.

It was silent on the other side. Trent took that as his cue to keep talking.

"So at work, I thought I was doing the right thing, the client had paid tax during that year and you're allowed to claim that stuff back so I just added it up and put it in the tax return," Trent gushed.

Tears sprung to his eyes and the other side stayed silent. Trent took a deep breath and continued.

"So I told the client to pay a certain amount, and they did but it turns out the ATO didn't have the same thought process as me and now the client owes $13,000," Trent blubbered. "And the client has no idea!"

Silence.

"I didn't know how to tell the client and he was profusely thanking us for everything on the phone to me and I just…" Trent burst into tears, loud blubbering sobs.

There was rustling on the other side.

"Father?" Trent asked hopefully. 

A chuckle. "So formal, you usually call me daddy," Ginni's voice floated through the curtain.

"Ginni?" Trent cried, aghast. "What are you doing here? You hate my religious upbringing, you've made that perfectly clear."

"I needed some of your precious holy water," Ginni said after a lengthy pause. "Me and Tracey found bats living in the cellar."

"Ginni, you can't just—" Trent started.

"Anyway, enough about me," Ginni said lightly. "What did you do about this tax evading client?"

Trent slumped back in the confession chair. "I lodged a remission request on the portal to make it go away," he sighed. 

"Ooh, exciting," Ginni said, clapping.

"Without telling anyone," Trent added, "I have too much power at work and I'm not using it responsibly."

"Trent," Ginni said firmly. "I'm about to pour a few plastic water bottles of holy water onto a nest of bats so don't talk to me about great power being great responsibility."

"So…" Trent tried. "You think… it'll be okay?"

"Yes, duh," Ginni snorted. "You always worry too much, Trenna." He chuckled.

Trent breathed out a sigh of relief. When Trent really thought about it, and compared his situation to Ginni's… it wasn't so bad. "You always know the right thing to cheer me up, Gin," he said.

Silence.

"Ginni?" Trent said, standing up and going around to peer into Father's side of the confessional booth. 

It was empty. Ginni had snuck away, as quietly as the way he gets the ball in the forward 50 and already has it through the goals before anyone can get their arms around his neck.

Trent sighed but it didn't matter. He felt so much better. Confession booths really did work. 

With a spring in his step, Trent strolled from the church and into the outside world, blue sky and a warm sunny day greeting him.