Chapter 18 - Respite

(Aqua's POV)

As I sat in my room, I kept recalling Alex's words in my head, my frustration with each passing minute. He was right, I should have done something. I was an adult, and I let such a young girl be left alone and get flamed to the point of suicide. Akane was a sweet and genuine person, those things shouldn't have happened to her. The toxic flaming she endured was unacceptable, and I couldn't stand idly by any longer. I want to honor my promise to my brother, enough was enough.

Tonight was the night I decided to take action. I knew I couldn't change what happened on the show, but I could bring attention to the injustice Akane was facing. It wasn't hard to do, I went to the single room where the station filled with reporters were at. I had my connections thanks to the producer, so it wasn't that hard. I spoke passionately about Akane's mistreatment, shedding light on the hurtful comments and actions she had to endure, telling them everything that happened in explicit detail.

I didn't have to wait long for them to do their jobs, as in the end, the internet took notice, and people from all walks of life began sharing their opinions about Akane's situation. Many were outraged by the way she was being treated and expressed their support for her. My heart swelled with some hope, knowing that maybe things would lighten up.

However, amidst the outpouring of support, there were still those who stubbornly clung to their hatred for Akane. Despite the evidence of her mistreatment, they refused to change their stance. Some even dismissed her struggles as insignificant or blamed her more for what she did to Yuki, further fueling the negativity.

But that's not going to hinder my plans. I knew that raising awareness about Akane's situation was the right thing to do, even if it meant facing opposition. The issue was getting widespread attention, exactly as I had hoped. More and more people rallied behind Akane, condemning the behavior of those who had treated her poorly on the show. But it was still not enough.

No matter. Spreading the situation was just the first phase of it all.

.

.

"You've brought more attention to the issue but haven't actually made it better. This isn't how you deal with flaming." I heard Miyako argue as we sat in the living room. "In fact, even Kurokawa Akane is taking a hiatus from the show. And there is no estimate on when she's returning to the set." She looks at me. "You always just do what you want to. Are you going to take responsibility for making this blow up?"

"I didn't believe that the odds were against me when I made the gamble," I argued back. "The amount of attention you get is like the amount you bet in a poker game. If we fold, then Akane will lose without a fight." I stood up with my laptop in hand. "You can't win if you don't raise. As long as I have even one ace in my hand, I will play to win." I then leave to go meet with Mem-Cho and the others.

"...reality isn't a game of poker."

"But in this industry, everything is just like poker. I gamble everything to exceed and ascend. And if I win, then Akane's future is set to improve." I last said.

...

..

.

As I delved into the second phase of my plan, I knew that revitalizing Akane's image required more than just exposing the truth; it needed to showcase her real self, her strengths, and her bright side. Gathering the talents needed for this task was crucial, luckily, those talents were close.

First, I approached Mem-Cho. I explained my vision for the video, containing the contestant's perspective of the reality dating show, but with a focus on revealing Akane's true personality and virtues. Mem-Cho was on board and promised to provide high-quality content that would capture the essence of Akane.