Chapter 12 - Progress

(Third Person POV)

*vocalization*

Alex stood in the practice room, his muscles warm and his determination burning. The class week had ended so it was now time for his weekend acting classes. And with Akane not yet here, he decided to do some vocal conditioning. He knew the importance of vocal training, to keep his voice in prime condition at all times.

"Hah..." With each exercise, he pushed himself, hitting challenging notes and perfecting his technique. "Good, still in prime condition."

*knock*

Midway through his session, a soft knock resounded through the door. Curious, he wiped the sweat from his brow and approached the entrance. Opening the door, he found Akane standing there, a warm smile gracing her lips.

"Sorry, I'm late! I left my catalog at home midway." She apologetically explained.

"No worries. I was just conditioning my voice while waiting anyways." He steps aside and lets her in. "You look tired, are you holding up alright?"

"Oh don't worry about me." They both walk to the middle of the practice room where Akane plopped her bag down. "My schedule's been packed to the brim lately thanks to the preparations for the reality dating show, but it's nothing I can't handle." She assures me. 

"In that case, let's take it easy for today. I'm rather exasperated as well. I want to wind down from making music for a bit." He shared the sentiment. "Should we get started?"

"Yup, we can... oh wait!" She perked up. "I almost forgot. Alex, do you know someone named Hoshino Aquamarine by any chance?"

"Hoshino Aquamarine?" The mention of his brother's name caught him by surprise. "Yeah. He's my brother."

"B-Brother?!" The news also made Akane stunned. "I didn't know you had a brother."

"He's my twin brother as well." He added, shocking her more. "And we're three siblings in total since I also have a twin sister. Which makes us triplets." Akane's head started to heat up with the information overload. "But going back to the point, why'd you ask me if I knew who Aqua is?"

"Oh." She composed herself. "That's because he's also in the reality dating show as well."

"...really." Alex's eyes widened slightly, though he tried to maintain an air of nonchalance. 'I had a feeling he had something lined up, even adding to the news that Miyako mentioned when we ate dinner a few nights ago, but I didn't know it was the same show. That's quite a coincidence.'

A small flicker of mixed emotions danced across Alex's face, but he quickly suppressed them. After all, it was his brother's own journey and career path, and he had no right to question or feel any resentment towards Aqua's opportunities.

'...Akane... Aqua... reality dating show...'

An unexpected thought crept into Alex's mind. He imagined Akane and Aqua growing close during the reality dating show, sharing moments, and developing a connection. The thought caught him off guard, and he couldn't help but feel a tinge of bitterness at the image.

'...why did I...' Confused by his own reaction, Alex swiftly dismissed the thought and tried to focus on the present. 'What am I even imagining? The stress must be catching up to me.' He chided himself for such irrational thinking and reminded himself that Akane was just a good friend and colleague. 

He had no reason to harbor any jealousy or insecurity.

Unbeknownst to him, deep down, there might have been a flicker of concern and possessiveness, but Alex pushed those feelings aside, determined not to let them interfere with his relationships. He took a deep breath, mustered a smile, and continued the conversation with Akane.