Chapter 8 - Spark of Lies

(Third Person POV)

"All this time, I wondered. The thought of looking up at the sky, with only the loneliness left for me to feel. I counted each bright star, not knowing where it ends."

Akane started her acting bit in front of Alex, with some theatre elements mixed into her improvisations.

"Please, don't let go of me even if we're not connected in spirit. Everything has an end, so if you don't love me, sleep next to me... I'm waiting for you there at the end." Her movements were filled with meaning, her voice elicited sorrow and pain, and her eyes tell a whole story that wrenches Alex's chest as he imagines just what happened to Akane, or better yet, the character she was portraying. "With the emotions thrown to the bottom, the time that has passed will become a virtual image. Becoming a flower of love, leaving the last petals to fall on you and me."

Akane shifts her body to Alex, reaching a hand out to him with her face showing even more pain.

"I warned you, you didn't listen, I told you not to protect the true heart of a lie that could not be saved. But still, you chose someone who can't find the meaning of love to be with you, staying with me until I found it." She smiles momentarily, only for it to disperse into agony. "I thought you were the one, I thought of you as my everything, but even after everything you did to make me feel love... I couldn't... you gave up... and left me all alone."

Then out of nowhere, Akane tears up, catching Alex completely off guard.

"Why... why did you leave? Was it because I couldn't reciprocate your feelings? Was it because I couldn't satisfy you? Couldn't I be enough for you? I warned you that I wouldn't feel... and yet..." Akane's hand falters. "When you left... all I thought about was you... all I wanted was your hand cupping my face... your warmth, your touch, feeling the empty space you left me with drove me insane... I knew I couldn't feel love... but why does this hurt so much..."

She cowered under her short hair, clutching her chest as if she was stabbed by an unknown entity.

"But then I realized... that all this time... It's not that I didn't know what love is... but rather... from the very beginning... I did have love... I did love someone... I did love you the moment you chose me..." Akane sinks even deeper. "I was too late to realize... I couldn't express it, my fears and stubbornness got the better of me... and now with you leaving me... I now truly lost the meaning of love... and I understand that I could never love again... the same way I loved you in my own futile fate..."

This time, she showed her face to him, wiping off her tears, leaving only a small hint of red in her eyes. 

"I'll be forever alone, stuck in my mind thinking of the times I would have had, I would have lived, I would have treasured... with you gone, I'm back to the way I was. Alone, empty, hollow... but I guess there was a silver lining to it all..." Her mouth creased into a heartfelt smile as her eyes were now filled with a glimmer of light. "And that's our memories of each other. I'll look back to them, and just thinking about them would be enough to fill me with some happiness. I know that I may never be reunited with you again, but it's fine... since now, even while you aren't here anymore, I can finally say this with all my heart and soul."

She reached out to him once more and said.

"I will always love you... no matter where you are..."

And with that being said, Akane finished her performance.

"So? How was it?" She exhaled and, like a switch, reverted back to the Akane that Alex knew from the beginning. "I kinda got carried away with the bit since it's been a while since I acted such a complicated character. But I had fun either way. Now, do you finally have an idea of what acting is on the highest level?"