Chapter 16 - Collapse

(Third Person POV)

"Oh God..." As the credits rolled on the latest episode of the reality dating show, Alex sat on the edge of the couch, a mix of emotions swirling within him. 

The image of Akane's slap replayed in his mind, the reckless act born out of desperation to stand out in a sea of contestants. He understood the pressure she must have felt, the need to make her presence known, but it still bothered him. The vicious backlash from the viewers, the avalanche of hateful comments—it was difficult to witness.

"Why... Akane. Just how desperate did you have to be..." The scene of her desperation and the slap was unbearable, causing Alex to drop his phone onto the wooden table in the living room of his home.

There was a moment of silence for Alex, the man himself reorganizing his own sporadic thoughts and emotions. He thought about the things that would make Akane so desperate, and there weren't many answers that lead to her desperation. She was a professional, she knew that doing something like that would be irrational and uncalled for. So what propelled her to a state to consider doing such a horrid act?

Could there be an exterior variable? Did someone tell her to commit such a thing to gain attention? But who? Does it even matter if Alex knew who told her? No. He had been avoiding Akane in shame for what he did. What could he even do now that the damage has been done? Her reputation is ruined, the worse becoming the worst.

Thinking again, another cause of her outburst would be... himself. Maybe it was because of his advice that he told Akane the last time they met. Could she have taken his words too far? Was Alex the reason why Akane was now suffering?

He doesn't fucking know, and it was eating him alive. The woman he respected and idolized, was brought to ruin. And he could do nothing for her, which was the most painful part yet.

"...hang on..."

His attention shifted to another realization that struck him like a bolt of lightning. The thought nagged at him, fueling his already irrational thoughts and amplifying his growing unease. With a sudden surge of determination, Alex stood up from the couch, his jaw clenched and his gaze focused. He needed answers to a thought that just came. 

He needed to confront Aqua, about what he knew and why he hadn't intervened. 

The unresolved tension, the unspoken words that lingered in the air, suddenly demanded to be addressed. Without hesitation, Alex stormed through the corridors, his footsteps echoing with a sense of purpose and seethe. As he reached Aqua's room, he knocked forcefully, the sound reverberating in the silent hallway. 

"Open up." His voice was louder than usual.

The door swung open, revealing Aqua and his reserved expression, and Alex wasted no time in asserting his presence.

"We need to talk," he stated firmly, his voice laced with a mix of concern and frustration. "I just watched the latest episode, and I can't help but feel like you knew more than you let on." The brows on Alex's face creased up even more, showing his frustration. "Why didn't you do anything to prevent Akane's reckless act? Why did you let her face such harsh criticism?"

Aqua's brows furrowed, his expression a blend of defensiveness and calmness as if he knew that Alex would confront him like that at some point. 

"Alex, I didn't know she would go that far," Aqua answered honestly. "While I admit that I did notice that she was becoming more proactive. I didn't anticipate it would escalate to that extent."

The words hung in the air, the tension between them noticeable. Alex took a deep breath, his emotions running high as he struggled to keep his composure. "But you're in the show too, Aqua. You knew the pressure, the scrutiny. You should have seen the signs!" Fueled by his uncontrolled outrage, Alex grabs Aqua's collar and forcefully yanked him closer.