Chapter Thirty Seven*

Jorah Mormont's body lies on an unlit funeral pyre. Daenerys mourns over his prone body. She leans down and kisses him gently on the forehead. She then whispers something in his ear.

Just behind her stand Alyssays and Lyanna Mormont. The young head of House Mormont has her chest wrapped from several broken ribs and her head is bandaged but her house will live to see another day as Ser Jorah wished.

Jon stands over Edd's body with Sam and they say good buy before turning to join Arya Stark, Bran Stark, Sansa Stark and Theon Greyjoy who stand amidst the Stark men, some of whom bear torches. Ghost stands obediently in mourning near by, he is missing part of a ear and is still covered in blood from the battle.

Daenerys, Alyssays and Lyanna join the crowd a bit further down, next to Grey Worm, Varys, Missandei, and Tyrion.

Spread out in front of the crowd there are dozens of funeral pyres laid out in a organized grid. Stark soldiers stand at intervals with more torches.

Jon steps forward to address those assembled. "We're here to say goodbye to our brothers and sisters. To our fathers and mothers. To our friends. Our fellow men and women who set aside their differences to fight together and die together so that others might live. Everyone in this world owes them a debt that can never be repaid. It is our duty and our honor to keep them alive in memory for those who come after us and those who come after them for as long as men draw breath. They were the shields that guarded the realms of men. And we shall never see their like again."

Soldiers and Free Folk hand torches to Jon, Sansa, Arya, Sam, Tormund, Daenerys, Alyssays and Grey Worm. They fan out to various pyres in the field, joining their fallen comrades for one final farewell Jon looks at Alyssays who meets his eyes with a soft look letting him know she is alright. She looks at her sister whose mood is much more fragile. As one, they ignite the pyres. Daenerys watches the flames spread under Jorah, then turns away. The air fills with a thick black smoke.

.........................

Inside the Great Hall the victory feast is somber and quiet, even though the hall is filled to capacity. At the head table sits Bran, Sansa, Jon, Alyssays, Daenerys, and Tyrion.  Davos and Theon sit to the left of the Starks and Grey Worm, Missandei and Varys to the right of the Targaryen's.

In the crowd, Gendry is looking around. He turns back to the table where ThevHound is eating hungrily and takes a drink.

"Have you seen Arya?" He asks quietly.

The Hound gives him a doubtful look. "You can still smell the burning bodies, and that's where your head is at?"

Gendry stutters. "I just want to thank her for..."

"I'm sure you do." The scarred knight smirks.

"Look, it's not about that." He protests.

"Of course it's about that, you twat." The Hound scoffs. "Why shouldn't it be? The dead are dead. You're not."He takes a deep gulp of his wine. With a huff Gendry gets up, insulted. He walks the length of the hall to exit, but Daenerys notices him as he passes the head table.

"Gendry." She calls out.  He stops and faces her as the hall goes even quieter. "That's right, isn't it?"

Gendry approaches Daenerys cautiously. "Yes, Your Grace."

"You're Robert Baratheon's son?" She asks but it sounds like a statement. Aly shoots her a look. How long has she known? Gendry gives a nod. "You are aware he took my family's throne and tried to have me murdered?"

Alyssays tenses, her sisters mood is tricky right now and she exchanges a look with Jon.

"I didn't even know he was my father until after he was dead." Gendry explains.