Chapter 43 : One of Us

Start from the beginning

He shakes his head. "I think Raul arranged for her to see a therapist this week."

Olivia comes back after several minutes. I take my coffee black while Marcus and Olivia have theirs with milk and sugar.

"Are you okay?" she asks me.

"Me?" I say, taken by surprise.

"Yeah. I heard you also saw..." She bites her lower lip. "I heard you were there."

I'm not surprised she was too distraught to notice anyone else in the room. "Yes, I was for a bit. I'm okay." I gave her my most cheerful smile. Then, in an attempt to change the subject, I ask, "Do you have family in town?"

She shakes her head. "My mom and brothers live in Maryland. I think I'll wait until this blows over before telling them. I don't want them to worry."

"You know you can always call me if you need someone to talk to about anything."

"Do you think they'll find ... whoever did this?"

I was hoping to keep the conversation away from that topic but it's clear Olivia is still thinking about it. And if she wants to talk about the incident, she'll need someone to listen. "I hope so," I say.

"What if..." She swallows nervously. "What if whoever did it decides to come after me?"

"Olivia?" I reach out and gently put a hand on hers. "Why would you think that?"

She stares down at the mug of coffee in her hands. "I don't know. I found the body." When she looks up, she looks frightened. "What if the murder thinks I saw something?"

"Did you?" I say, trying to keep my tone gentle.

She shakes her head. "But what if he thinks I did? The police think it could be someone connected to the company."

Marcus and I exchange glances. "Did they tell you that?" I ask her.

"They implied it. When they questioned me. One detective asked me twice if there was someone at the company who... who had it in for Señor Saldana."

"The police lie all the time, Olivia," Marcus says. "They're not obligated to be truthful when interviewing people in connection to a crime. Those detectives were probably just exploring possible scenarios. I wouldn't take any of it seriously."

She turns to him, her expression turning hopeful. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure."

"But I understand how you feel," I assure her. "Would you feel safer staying somewhere else?"

"I don't have anywhere else to go," she says. "And I don't want to bother any of my friends about this. Raul — Mr. Marin said I shouldn't talk about this to anyone."

"Yes, I'm sorry. We thought it would be better if no one knew about you, so we made sure the media didn't find out."

"Thank you." She gives me a wry smile. "I guess I'm just overthinking this."

"I'm sure you're not. Look—" I put down my coffee mug. "— if it helps to make you feel safer, how about we put you up at a hotel for a week?" I smile. "Somewhere with really good security."

"Oh no, Kate, I don't want to be too much trouble." She shakes her head. "This is my problem."

"I understand. But I can't rest easy knowing you're scared because of something that wasn't even your fault. It's no trouble, I promise you."

She doesn't reply for a long time, only staring down at her mug. Finally, she sighs and looks up at me. "If you're sure?"

Smiling reassuringly, I say, "I'm sure."