Carnival

Will always thought Nico Di Angelo was a little out of his league.

How could he not? Nico Di Angelo helped save the world twice, walked through Tartarus alone, and managed to not die in the process (though in Will's professional medical opinion, Nico was awfully close). To say the least, Nico was a hero and Will? Will was just a medic. Just the guy sitting on the sidelines. Why on earth would Nico ever go for a guy like him?

During their three days in the infirmary, Will and Nico got quite close. Close enough that Nico was comfortable telling Will about his ex-crush on Percy. It made perfect sense. Percy was a perfect hero. It only further proved to Will that his chances with Nico Di Angelo were lower than his chance of contracting fibrodysplasia ossificans progressiva (aka, close to 0).

So he couldn't deny that maybe he was a little hopeful when Nico invited him to come to the fair today.

"The everyone else is already going." Nico said. "And I'd rather not be stuck third wheeling when they start pairing off." he added with an eye roll.

Will had laughed. "I guess I can clear my schedule. But I expect funnel cake as payment."

"Deal."

That's how they ended up wandering around together. Just as Nico had expected, all of his friends immediately paired off with their girlfriends (ugh, straight people), leaving him with Will. But he didn't mind necessary. Nico would be lying if he said he didn't feel an attraction towards the blond. He just wish he knew if Will felt the same.

After walking and talking for a while, the two stopped at a ring toss game. Nico's face lit up. "Look at the size of that bear, Will."

He pointed at the industrial sizes teddy bear sat behind the carny at the booth. The women smiled at them. "Interested in trying your luck?"

"Depends." Nico looked over at Will. "Think you can win that bear for me?"

Will rolled his eyes. "What are you going to do with a three foot bear?"

"Better question, what couldn't I do with a three foot bear?"

Will grinned while reaching into his pocket. He's always been pretty good at carnival games. Maybe this could be how he impresses Nico. Sure, it's kind of small compared to all the things Nico has done, but hey! At least he can win this bear. Besides, he had twenty on him and each round was only a dollar. This would be easy, Will thought.

It was in fact, not easy.

Nineteen games, and nineteen dollars down the drain later, Will could not land a single ring. He only had to get three. Will could hear Nico snickering to himself next to him every time he missed.

"This game is totally rigged." Will pouted.

Nico giggled at him. "Can I try?"

Will shrugged and handed over his last dollar. At least he won't be the only one feeling pathetic for losing this stupid-

"We have a winner!"

Will watched in disbelief as the carny heaved the three foot bear over the counter to Nico.

"What. How. Literally how."

Nico shrugged, holding his new buddy. "It wasn't that hard. Here, you an have him."

Will sighed. "I was trying to win him for you, though. So you'd think I was super cool."

Nico stopped walking to face the blonde. "What are you talking about? I already think you're cool. Why'd you think I wanted to spend the day with you?"

Will perked up slightly at the news. "Really?"

Nico grabbed his hand (the one not holding the giant bear). "Really. Now, if I'm remembering correctly, I owe you some funnel cake."

The two walked away hand in hand as the carny smiled. Sure, maybe she rigged the game just a little. But what could she say? Young love was wonderful, wasn't it?

...

I own a giant stuffed bear. His name is Dave and he sits on the edge of my bed.

Anyway, on more of a serious note, can you all do me a favor and go look at the most recent post of my message board? I know not everyone who reads this book follows me, but it's kind of important 🫶 I love you all.