Nightmares

The corridor simply went on forever.

Nico wasn't quite sure how he got there, but something in his gut kept telling him, pulling him, towards the end of it.

Except, Nico didn't know if there was an end.

He just kept walking.

The voices around just kept getting louder and louder. They were all talking all at once, making it impossible for Nico to pick one to listen too. The noise got unbearable. Nico felt as though his eardrums were about to burst. He sank to his knees, covering his ears with his hands.

Make it stop.

The voice were yelling at him, each one angrier than the first.

Make. It. Stop-

"Nico?"

He looked up, the sudden silence becoming more unsettling than the noise. He saw the speaker and gasped.

"You... Why do you look like me?"

The speaker was a splitting image of Nico. From the long, tangled hair to the porcelain skin. It looked down at Nico, a huge smile on his face.

"You look surprised." It said. It's voice was hollow and empty. "I haven't a clue why. I think by now you'd realized that we are the same."

Nico held It's glaze. He knew it wasn't human. It probably wasn't even real. "You and I are not the same. You are a monster."

"And you're not?"

Nico swallowed hard. The air just refused to enter his lungs. He felt suffocated, like he was dying in that jar again.

It circled Nico like a lion circling it's prey. "You're right. You and me, we're not the same. You are a monster. A sinner."

Nico could hardly talk anymore. "N-No I'm not."

"Really??" It asked, standing right above Nico. "Because your the one who let Bianca die."

"I didn't-"

"You betrayed Percy. You let him fall to Tartarus, didn't you? You didn't help him. You didn't even try."

Nico blinked the tears rimming his eyes. "I did try! I couldn't help, it wasn't on purpose!"

"But Bryce Lawrence was."

Nico's eyes widened before he shut them. How did this thing know. Maybe it really is me, Nico thought, how else would it know?

"And Jason. Oh, poor Jason. You didn't save him, did you? You felt him die and what did you do?" It asked.

Nico stayed quiet, trying to will himself away. Anywhere would be better than this endless corridor. It grabbed his face, causing him to look It in the eyes.

"What did you do??" It asked again, more forcefully.

"N-Nothing." Nico answered miserably.

It released Nico, relishing in it's victory.

"See?" It asked, it's wide, unnatural grin returning. "You really are a monster. You admit it!"

"I-" Nico stuttered. This place, this person, was affecting him in ways he couldn't understand. "I am a monster."

It smiled. "And monsters shouldn't get to live, don't you think?"

It brandished it's sword, Nico's sword, the one he's used to end the lives of many monsters before, and with on quick sweep, sliced off Nico's head.

That's when Nico woke up.

He struggled to get out of bed, running to the bathroom connected to his cabin. It was stupid, Nico knew, but he had to make sure his head was still attached to his body. Of course it is, stupid, Nico chided himself.

There was a knock on the door that nearly made Nico jump out of his skin, knockin over some things on his sink in the process.

"Nico? Are you okay? You sounded kind of breathless. Do you need water or something? Should I turn on the AC?" Will fretted, listing off the things he could do to help. Nico couldn't help but smile at the sound of his boyfriends voice. He opened the bathroom door, joining Will back on his bed.

"I'm fine, Will. Just a little nightmare."

Will frowned. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

Nico shook his head. "Not really. Is that okay?"

Will laughed. "Of course! If you wanna talk, we can talk. For now let's just... lay down. Okay?"

Nico nodded, cuddling into Will's chest. Will knew that when Nico had nightmares, it was rare for him to go back to sleep. But that was fine with Will, he didn't mind spending a night with Nico in his arms.

So they laid there, Will humming 'You are My Sunshine' under his breathe. Nico's nightmare felt so far away. He understood that It was lying. He wasn't a monster. Because Will Solace loves him, and that made Nico feel like the biggest saint in the world

...

The nightmare part of this was inspired by the game It's Not Me, It's My Basement