Coming Out

Since today (October 11) is National Coming Out Day...

Trans Nico Au because I said so 💅

...

Nico groaned as he sat up. Partly because of all the schoolwork he still had to complete, but mostly because of how much the bandages on his chest hurt.

"You really shouldn't bind your chest like that." Reyna reminded him. Both Hazel and Jason nodded in agreement. "You can take a break if you want, bro. We don't mind." Jason added.

Nico nodded silently, walking to the bathroom. He undid his bandages, disgusted at the body he saw in the mirror. It made him want to vomit, seeing his chest again. 

He quickly undid the bandages, finding his baggiest shirt. With the shirt on, Nico could convince himself that he was normal. That he was a boy. That he was always a boy. Because he was.

Nico was transgender. Hazel was the one who helped him realize he was a boy in the first place and Reyna was the first person he told. Jason found out purely by accident (Nico had answered the door, forgetting about his chest at the moment), but he was still supportive nonetheless. There was still one important person in his life that Nico hasn't told. 

"Will called while you were in the bathroom." Hazel said. "He just asked if you were still gonna go over to his house today."

Nico returned to his spot on the bed, pulling up Will's contact on his phone. He texted that he'll be there, earning a heart emoji in response. Reyna cleared his throat. "So... it'll just be you and Will. Alone. Seems like the perfect opportunity to tell his a certain something."

Nico rolled his eye, though he knew exactly what Reyna was referring to. Will was the only person who didn't know Nico was trans. He met Will after his transition. They became friends and Nico really did mean to tell him when he told everyone else, but Will asked him out before then. Then they became boyfriends. Nico loved Will. He didn't want to lose him because of the gender he was assigned at birth.

"You do know Will loves you, right?" Jason asked. Nico nodded. Will said it all the time, after all, just so Nico won't forget.

"Then you also know he wouldn't break up with you. Especially over something like your gender."

Nico looked up at the three of them, a little more hopeful. "Your right. I'm gonna tell him. Tonight."

...

Nico did not tell him that night.

He was going to, really, but once he worked up the nerve, he'd lose it again.

Why would he ruin such a perfect night anyway? Will ordered the two of them dinner and agreed to watch Nico's movie of choice (Nightmare before Christmas, it's timeless). Nico was lying in his boyfriend's arms, completely content. Of course, he realized that if he didn't tell Will now, he might not ever. Scratch that, he will not ever.

Nico forced himself to sit up from Will's warm embrace, earning a look from him. Will paused the movie.

"Neeks? What's wrong?"

Nico took a deep breathe. Now or never, right?

"Look, I have something to tell you, and you I completely understand if you get mad or want to... break up or something."

Will nodded slowly.

"I... Will, I'm transgender. I was assigned female at birth. I'm sorry I never told you. I was just.. scared? I guess."

Will was silent for a while. Then he laughed.

"Oh thank god!" Will exclaimed. "I thought you were breaking up with me or something!"

"Wait." Nico said. "Did you not hear what I said?"

Will snuggled back into his spot on the couch. "What, that you're trans? That doesn't change anything. You're still Nico. I still love you."

Nico smiled, all his worries melting away. "Thank you, Will. I love you too."

Nico settled back into Will's arms as if nothing had even happened. Will would always love Nico, he realized. No matter what.