The Cat Next Door

^^^"Will Solace was more like a lanky cat stretched out in the sunshine." (Nico - Blood of Olympus, page 110)

...

Nico wasn't the biggest fan of cats.

Especially ones that enjoy breaking and entering.

Nico came home that day with an arm full of groceries and grey tabby cat making itself comfortable on his couch.

(This grey tabby, to be specific)

"Um. Hi?"

The cat mewed at him.

It was a pretty cat, Nico thought, with it's perfectly trimmed hair and bright blue eyes. But it wasn't his. Nico approached the cat carefully. It seemed perfectly content lounging on his sofa, to be honest. It snuggled up next to Nico when he sat near it. "Where did you come from?"

The cat stared at him blankly.

"Annnd I'm talking to a cat. Great."

Nico huffed and went upstairs to retrieve his phone. His father gave him a lot of advice when he first moved into his own house. How to check for water damage. How to clean the gutters. Even how to unclog a toliet. But he did not instruct Nico on how to deal with a fuzzy break in.

"Hello?"

"Hi Dad. I need help."

Nico heard his father sigh on the other line.

"Is it the sink again? I keep telling you to talk to a plumper about that-"

"No, no the sink is fine." Nico said, making his way back downstairs. The cat had apparently gotten bored of the couch and moved onto the windowsill, it's eyes trained on whatever's outside. "Someone broke in, though."

Nico could practically hear the way Hades shot out of bed. "WHAT??"

"Okay well, not really someone but something. There's a cat in my living room."

There was a pause, and then, "Is it your cat?"

Nico rolled his eyes. "I think I'd know if I bought a cat, Dad."

"Well, maybe you should call animal control. Do you know if it has a collar?"

Nico's eyes carried over towards the feline in question to see there was a collar hidden beneath all that fur. Nico wondered how he didn't see it before, given that it's bright yellow. He promised to call Hades back and went over to the cat. But he didn't even make it before someone rang the doorbell.

Nico opened it and lost his breath.

The man who knocked had the prettiest golden blonde and eyes bright blue, just like the cat's. He was red in the face and out of breath, like he had just ran all the way over here. He waved awkwardly.

"Uh.. hi. I'm Will. I- I live next door."

Nico nodded, unsure as to why this pretty boy ran over here to introduce himself.

"This might be kind of weird to ask but um... is there a cat here by any chance? Grey tabby with a yellow collar?"

Nico didn't get to answer before the cat in question scampered by, clawing at Will's leg. His face broke out into a smile as he scooped up his cat. "There you are Stormi! You can't sneaking out like that."

Nico's heart couldn't take the cuteness in front of him. "Does Stormi run away often?"

Will gave Nico a small smile. "We used to live in a country house so she was always allowed out in the big open fields. Now she doesn't seem to understand she can't do that anymore in the city. Sorry for the trouble."

Nico shook his head. "It's cool. Stormi's allowed over whenever she wants. And so are you, of course." Nico added quickly.

Will's smile grew. "Good to know. Maybe I'll see you around? I mean, obviously I'll see you around cause you live next door but, you know."

Nico in fact, did not know, but just smiled and nodded anyway, silently thanking the cat for showing up today.

...

Is this some of my best work?

no.
not by a long shot.