The Sea Monster

Everyone in Will's small town knew of the legend of the Sea Monster.

"It was said that monster was the product of jealousy. The mother of the monster managed to capture the attention of two powerful gods, Hades and Poseidon. While they were both smitten with her and tried to win her heart, Hades was victorious in the end. She was madly in love with the Underworld God, even willing to have his child. But Poseidon was angry that he had lost his love, and cursed the women, saying that if she couldn't be with him, her child will. Forever. Nine months later, a monster was born. The boy looked human from the waist up, but had huge, ugly tentacles as legs. The women and Hades, in fear of what they created, threw the child in the sea where it belonged, therefore completing Poseidon's curse. Since then, for the next 15 years, the monster lived in the waters surrounding our saltwater town, only coming up to the surface to find his next snack. And who knows? Maybe it could be YOU!!"

Percy chuckled as he turned off his flashlight and Piper rolled her eyes from her spot on Will's beanbag chair. Percy, Annabeth, Jason, Piper, Leo, Frank, Hazel, and Will often had sleepovers like this where they told scary stories once it got dark. 

"Percy, everyone knows that story. My sister has been trying to scare me with it since I was like, 3." Will stated. True, the story wasn't scary to Will anymore, but he still hated hearing it. It probably wasn't even true, yet it made Will's heart ached. The thought that anyone would be shunned and tossed aside because of something out of their control hurt his heart a little bit.

Hazel nodded. "Sorry Perce, but that really wasn't scary. Right, Frank?"

Frank looked up, trembling under his blanket. "Y-Yeah. So not scary."

Percy gasped dramatically. "What?? I thought it was great! Who doesn't love a story based on true events?"

"It'd be better if the events were actually, you know, true." Annabeth pointed out.

"Who says they aren't?" Jason asked. "We've never been down there. There could totally be a half human sea monster existing in the waters."

Leo smirked mysteriously. "Why don't we go find out?"

"Excuse me?" Will asked.

"I mean, Will's parents won't be home for a couple more hours so... let's go out to the port and take a swim. See if we can find this 'monster'."

"I don't know how to swim." Hazel mentioned.

Everyone else agree except for Percy and Will.

"I-I don't know guys. I mean, it's really cold out..." Percy argued.

"Percy, it's 85 degrees." Annabeth laughed. "If you're scared, just say so."

Percy pouted. "I'm not scared, Wisegirl! I just think Will should do it since... it's his sleepover?"

Will shrugged. "Fine. I'll do it. Sea monsters aren't real anyway. What's the worst that can happen?"

The eight of them marched over to the docks, Will in his swimming trucks. They only had an hour before Will's mom comes home and and according to legends, this monster lived in a cave on the sea floor.

"Are you sure about this, Will? You don't have to do this if you don't want to." Hazel insisted. 

Will shook his head. "If I can save us all from having to hear Percy stupid story again, I think it's worth it."

Everyone nodded while Percy muttered something in complaint. Will sat at the end of the dock, dipping his feet in. Perhaps it was just fact it was pitch dark out, but the water was looking a lot more black than blue. Will dimming considered the possibility that there was a monster down there. Could he out swim it? Would his friends even be able to see him from shore?