Late Night Talks With the Underworld Kids

Will isn't actually in this chapter haha. 

...

Hazel was somewhat worried when her brother disappeared in the middle of the night.

Not completely because, well, it's Nico. He leaves all the time. It's kind of his thing. He leaves for a few days and shows up again like nothing happened. But still, Hazel couldn't stop the worry from flooding her brain. That was her little (older?) brother, y'know? She had to make sure he was safe.

She climbed out of bed, slipping an old camp hoodie over her nightgown, and walked outside of her barracks. Camp Jupiter was different at night. In the daytime, people were everywhere. Campers, adults, even ghosts were always passing through. But at night? It all seemed to go away. It was almost peaceful.

Hazel started walking. She decided if she couldn't find Nico by the time she circles the whole camp, she would assume he left. Eventually, she made it past the temples. Before, there weren't many. One for Bellona, Neptune, Mars, Jupiter, and her own father. Thanks to Jason, a bunch more where in the process of being built.

Hazel walked up to the Pluto temple and peered inside. Empty.

"What are you doing up so late?"

Perhaps a year ago, this would've made Hazel jump out of her skin. But she's gotten rather used to her brother simply appearing. Hazel back out of the temple and directed her gaze up instead.

"I could ask you the same question. Mind if I join you?"

Nico shook his head and Hazel climbed up.

Sitting behind Nico were two skeletons. They sat facing each other, holding the random bones that were on the Pluto Temple. The two tried stacking the bones up, and seemed almost disappointed when they fell apart again.

Hazel settled next to Nico, feet hanging over the edge. "So, what's up with the skeletons?"

Nico snapped back to attention, like he just realized Hazel had gotten there. "What? Oh. Those guys. I made the first one by accident. You know how that happens, my emotions get to my powers and stuff. Then the first one looked lonely so I made the second one for them to play with. Now I guess they're trying add a third friend to their group."

Hazel giggled. "That's kind of sweet."

The two sat in silence, the only noise coming from the clattering the bones made every time they toppled over. Eventually, Nico waved his hand and force the skeleton to life. He was missing a few ribs, but Skeletons 1 and 2 seemed to love him anyway. They all climbed off the roof of the temple, chattering their teeth. 

"Where are they going?"

"To play jump rope." Nico shrugged. "I'll get rid of them later. No big deal."

Hazel has heard of siblings who can sense when their sibling is upset. It sounded pretty ridiculous to Hazel, but right now, looking at Nico, she knew something was wrong. He had this faraway look in his eyes like he was here but wasn't really here.

"Alright. What's wrong?"

Nico snapped back to attention. "What makes you think something is wrong?"

"Niccolo Di Angelo" Hazel said threateningly.

"Okay, so maybe something's wrong."

Hazel laid down on the roof of her father's temple, Nico doing the same. "Alright, so spill. What's up?"

Nico sighed. "It's Will."

"You're doctor?"

"Um, kind of? That's the problem. I think I might like him."

Hazel shot up so fast she almost fell off the roof. "Nico! Aw, that's so cute! I always knew you'd be super cute together!"

"Hazel! Shush!" Nico said, clearly embarrassed. "People are trying to sleep!"

"Sorry, sorry. But, I'm confused on how this is a problem."

Nico sat up. "I haven't felt this way about anyone since... Percy. And we both know how that turned out. What if I'm just... leading myself on again? Letting myself fall for another guy that wants nothing to do with me?"

Hazel frowned. She knew that she'd never be able to truly understand how Nico felt, but she surely tried. She, too, would probably have a hard time accepting love again after getting rejected by the guy she spent so long chasing after. "Look, Nico. I haven't known Will for very long, but I do know that he's one of the good ones. And, fyi, I've seen the way he looks at you. He's super in love."

Nico shoved her playfully. "Shut up. What are you, a child of Venus?"

Hazel just smiled the same way she did when Frank had asked her the same thing. Perhaps she was a descendant of Venus.

The siblings laid themselves back down onto the roof, watching the sunrise above the mountains.

"So, are you gonna go get those skeletons?"

Nico shrugged. "I'm sure they won't bother anyone."

A loud scream was heard near the barracks that sounded suspiciously like Frank.

"Should we...?"
"Yeah, probably."

...

Underworld siblings have one of the best sibling dynamics fight me