Chapter Forty

"I'm not your birth father Harley."

Those words kept repeating over and over in her head, she didn't want them to be true, to even believe it, but when she looked into her father's eyes her realisations hit her like a ton of bricks, she looks nothing like him, not one bit, denial really does keep you blind to things you're not ready for.

After her sudden shock and a lot of tears, she took a deep breath in controlling her thoughts, getting herself together to ask the questions that were needed. "So, this cartel guy is?" She questioned looking to her mother who nodded. "Your birth given name before I changed it... was Adriana Delgado. Your birth father's name is Matteo Delgado."

"So, I'm part Mexican?" Ava smiled nodding. "That's what you got from that?" Bennett questioned as Harley shrugged her shoulders. "I don't know what to take from it. For twenty-six years I've thought you were my father... and now what?"

"I'm still your father Harley... I still love you, you're still my daughter. You have my last name."

"Yeah... and his tendencies towards illegal activities, right?" Ava let out a sigh looking to Bennett before locking eyes onto her daughter. "Yes, you are very much like Matteo in a lot of ways. You've got his temper that's for sure, his regard for doing the wrong thing... but I raised you different, we raised you different."

Harley chuckled. "Did you!? My teenager years I spent most of my time in illegal fights getting bets placed on me, taking falls for gangsters so I could get some of the money. If dad hadn't stepped in when he did I would have started doing jobs for them I think we both know that. I've always been drawn more to the bad than the good... I guess it's in my blood." Harley stated as Ava ran her fingers through her hair licking her lips.

"Harley you are not Matteo... you are you and who you want to be."

"Which is a crime bosses daughter." She said shaking her head. "Just... go please. I need time to myself with this." She was trying to process it all still.

Ava looked back to Bennett who nodded rubbing his wife's shoulders gently. "Okay, honey. We will head to your place, grab you some of your clothes for getting out of here." Harley shut her eyes as tears began to form once again causing Ava to grip her hand.

"Sweetie?"

"All my things are at Liv's. I moved in with her." Ava raised her eyebrows in shock as did Bennett, but both thought it would be best not to give her a lecture on rushing relationships especially with a criminal. She had been through enough.

"Um... okay... well I'll call Liv and tell her to drop by some clothes for you." Harley shook her head. "No, tell her to give them to you guys. I don't want to see her again." She said honestly, that same pain aching in her heart, the want for one person growing stronger by the minute knowing she couldn't have her.

"Okay." Ava said sweetly before leaning down giving Harley one last kiss on the forehead. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you sooner."

"We'll get to that later. Right now, I just want to rest." She stated letting out a tired sigh. "Okay sweetheart. We love you." Bennett said placing a small kiss onto her forehead as well making sure she knew nothing was changing for him. She was and always would be his daughter.

"Love you both too." She stated as they gave her one last smile before leaving the room allowing Harley some time to herself, time she took to cry into her pillow wondering how her life became this messed up.

Close to two months ago she was living in her own place, she had a decent job with a somewhat loving boyfriend and now she was homeless, jobless with a freshly broken heart.