15

A/N
a double update as thanks for the patience and from a sudden burst of writing motivation

dealing with an "injury" of sorts and working on my unmotivated pit of depression lol

promise this story will have an end someday and I won't abandon it, might take a hot minute tho <3 you guys have been amazing as always

reminder that these stories are for fun so there's probably mistakes!!

enjoy <33

I don't know what possessed me to go to the city walls early this morning but here I was, rushing to keep up with Elias as he walked with purpose to the nearest edge of the city.

It had been a good few days since Elias and Erin returned from their trip to the west side. I'd been doing barely anything, switching between following the boys around like a lost puppy and messing around with Noah and Cassie.

When I woke up early, alone in my own room with Cassie still asleep down the hall, I felt somewhat lonely. It was strange, I had just seen Noah and Cass the night before and only parted for sleep so I'm not sure where the sudden pang of isolation came from.

I didn't like the feeling of my dark room all of a sudden and got up much earlier than intended, about 3 in the morning really, heading down to the lobby.

It was dark and eerily quiet with only a few lamps around the large space to light up the first level.

I was surprised to see just a couple people, bagged eyes and exhaustion draped on their faces, mulling about. They probably had jobs that required them getting up early.

Although I was even more surprised to see Elias behind the lobby desk, filing through some papers and moving about.

He had looked up as I walked over, his serious composure softened immediately and a look of concern overtook his features.

"Why are you up, love?" He asked softly, as to not disrupt the quiet atmosphere.

"I don't know actually. Couldn't fall back asleep, thought a walk might help or something." I said honestly. "Why are you up?" I then asked him.

He smiled a little, letting his emotional wall down slightly as no one was around.

"I kind of run the city baby, I have to be ready to work when I need to." He said, returning to the piles of papers he was shuffling through.

I had spent a few moments of beating silence just watching him look for whatever he needed before he sighed and moved the piles to the side.

"What are you looking for?" I had asked.

"Jamie works this desk for people living here and people are allowed to leave request sheets for changes or additions they would like for the city. He's supposed to leave a bin of them but I can't find them." Elias sighed again, rubbing a hand down his face.

"So they're to help you understand what to do to help the city run smoothly? Shouldn't they be left in an important spot or somewhere it won't be easily lost?" I asked him.

"Yes, we have request bins around the city in post offices and council buildings that are more orderly but I put one here as an additional spot, it also helps me get requests faster and usually the full bins come in here anyways. I check requests every month." He explained.

I didn't say anything after that and instead we spent another ten minutes searching through Jamie's messy desk space to find the request bin.

Eventually Elias moved to the staff hallway, a small hallway leading around the building for cleaners and workers to get around more easily.