4

I almost screamed but Elias' hand went over my mouth and I calmed down. He scared the crap out of me.

He let out a breathy 'shh' and it made me feel a bit more calm. He sat down beside me, leaning against a bunch of pillows against the shelf.

"Scared?" He whispered, the Italian accent seriously made me want to cry. He was so attractive.

"The shadows and noises make it worse." I breathed shakily. His face held no emotion but his eyes told me he understood.

Maybe he is scared too?

But he looked so brave. He IS brave. Braver than I'd ever be.

I leaned back into some pillows and blankets. Elias stayed quiet but moved an extra blanket, placing it over my shoulders, a sweet gesture.

I smiled gratefully at him, I could tell he was trying to make me less scared.

Elias didn't say anything else, didn't lay back to try and sleep, he simply sat there and glanced every once in a while to make sure everyone was okay.

I thought about mom. I wonder if she's in California yet, I hope she's doing okay.

I wish I could tell her I was okay and alive and partially safe. I only hoped she believed I was alive and didn't think about the possibility of me being dead.

Part of me felt glad that the drafting system didn't apply to me anymore. I didn't have to worry about being thrown out to the monsters, I was already out here.

Now I'd be going to a new city, one that won't kick me out.

Suddenly the events from the past week flooded my body and I realized how tired I was. My eyes drifted shut and my body left consciousness.

I heard talking as I woke up the next morning. I peeked one eye open, wincing at the light.

Only Akira was still asleep, everyone else was up and talking somewhere in the store.

I sighed into the pillows and blankets before I pulled myself out of the makeshift bed. I stuffed my cow into my pack again and got up.

My legs and arms were extremely sore and I almost fell over as I tried to take a step.

I briefly stretched out my legs and arms, only soothing some pain, before I stumbled my way over to the sound of voices.

Noah was hunched over a shelf that had food displayed across the top. Most of the group were out and about eating and talking, mostly trying to get to know each other a bit better.

I settled on approaching Noah, he smiled as he saw me.

"You slept for a while, so did the others in your group but they got up about 10 minutes ago." He told me, grabbing some chips.

"We have been awake for a long time." I said softly. I was still tired and in pain but I figured I should eat something.

"I bet you have. Elias will probably make us get going tomorrow morning. Jayden convinced him to let us have one more day for resting and eating." He informed.

I followed his lead and grabbed my own snacks to munch on for the morning.

"Good. I'm not sure I could walk another few days, I could barely make it over here." I laughed. Noah smiled and both of us walked over to Jayden who took a place beside Elias.

Elias had some papers out in front of him, his naturally angry face looking even more scowl like.

What paperwork could he possibly be doing?