6

I've just realized how some chapters are extremely long like this and then suddenly there's a chapter that's like 1K words 💀💀

•••

The next few days were tiring and somewhat painful. My cold was getting much better but the days I'd had it made me feel like crap.

Erin and Elias stuck by me in case infected people showed up. Neither of them talked to me, they just bickered every once in a while quietly and then flirted.

It was so subtle I almost didn't notice but the permanent smirk on Erin's face and Elias' almost kind responses were enough to tell me they were interested in each other.

The only time they truly acknowledged me was by subconsciously fixing my shirt, giving me water, helping fight the infected off, or placing a hand on my back to help me around. It was almost like they didn't realize they were taking care of me and that made me blush like crazy.

We had finally reached the drafted city, and let me tell you.

I now understand why there weren't as many infected around before.

The huge walls of the New York draft city were surrounded by thousands of infected people. They were groaning and walking all around the walls.

I could see a large boarded door in one of the walls, tightly shut and surrounded by the infected.

Our group was standing down the street, peeking around a corner.

"How do we get in?" Zara asked from beside me.

"Underground." Ellie smirked. Cassie's eyes widened.

"What?! I'm not going through the sewers!" She gasped. Ellie chuckled and pulled her close.

"I won't let you get dirty baby girl, don't worry." She said, making Cassie blush.

"Won't there be infected down there?" Juan asked. He was right, the infected can't maneuver their way past walls but can surely get into the sewers. 

"Yes but not as many as up here. We go down into the sewers to get past the crowd and then we go to the back door. It's more hidden which throws off the infected." Jayden explained, opening the entrance to the sewers.

Elias went and slid in first, making a splash as his feet hit the ground.

Jayden nodded everyone to follow, and hesitantly everyone did. One by one they slid into the dirty sewer. Cassie gave me a look showing her hatred for this moment.

"I'm going to kill someone if I get sewage water on me." She grumbled. Ellie pressed a kiss to her neck and pulled her forward, going in first and then helping Cassie in.

Akira and Jake followed them in and Noah slid in afterwards.

Erin put a hand on my back, pushing me forward lightly. I turned around quickly, ignoring Finley and Jessie as they moved in front to slide in. Only Erin and I remained outside.

"Will you go first and help me in?" I asked him. Erin brushed my cheek.

"Elias has you sucré." He mutters. I nod and allow him to bring me to the sewer opening. I sit and let my legs dangle before starting to slide in.

Erin places his hands under my arms and helps me in, Elias grabbing my waist and letting me fall into him.

I almost screamed at the feeling of being so close to him, wrapped in his arms.

He was strong and tall and basically covers my entire body with his. Erin slid in behind me and gripped my arms, almost pressing against my back.

I heard him chuckle.