Chapter ONE TWENTY FOUR - Forts and Forevers

(Apoalypse - Cigarettes After Sex)

~

~

~

~

~

The smell of fresh quill ink was the first to touch my nose as my eyes squinted against starlight.

No not starlight

sunlight.

A searing shot of white flamed across my pupils, forcing its way beneath and piercing uncomfortably at my mind. Even blinking ached but I forced my lashes together again and again until ever so slowly the light faded back to a reasonable radiance. 

Cool oranges and warm pinks crept across the room, blanketing it in comforting peace. Rows and rows of white metal frame beds and thick lace curtain dividers dotted the wall opposite me. High arched windows tickled the tall ceilings and curled in ornate detail around the glass just beneath. A large chandelier tipped from the highest peak, lit with nearly a hundred little candles. Each flickered silently, wax dripping onto the cool metal below each stick.

I recognized it almost instantly though I'd only seen it for myself once before.

The hospital wing of Hogwarts.

A silent flicker of panic dotted the candle wicks as memories flashed beneath the flames.

Sebastian.

Ominis.

Head whipped to the side, my lungs heaved an aching sigh of relief as I found my heart mere inches from my ribs.

Sebastian's wavy brown hair dipped over his brows and kissed the tops of his eyelids. The matted blood had been wiped hastily from his face though streaks of it still stained his cheeks. Bits of dried red and black connected his freckles like constellations. His eyelids were pressed shut under troubled brows, the area around his eyes red and puffy. One leg was thrown over the side of his chair while the other hung loosely to the floor. His body was angled awkwardly to the side, one arm holding his head up while the other was outstretched to my bedside, pinky wrapped around mine. 

A whispered reminder of our promises. 

Each of his fingertips were wrapped in gauze that dipped over his palms and tied tight around his wrists. I puzzled for a moment before twisting my head to the other side of my pillow. 

Ominis' slender frame was curled in an identical chair, though he was propped up far straighter. His boots touched the ground, scuffed and covered in dirt. His white shirt awkwardly buttoned, stained pink along the center and edges. His fingers clasped around something small and rectangular in his lap, his head dipped back against the top of his chair, deep breaths filling his lungs.

Sebastian groaned idly from my right and I turned my attention back to him quickly. His lower lip trembled slightly though his eyes were still shut tight. His collarbones heaved against his chest as his breathing became rapid. I pulled my little finger tight around his, wishing I could swallow the nightmares.

The nightmares I'm responsible for.

Only a second later his eyes shot open and flashed to mine.

Deep brown washed across my features, 

a feeling of home dancing just below lashes.

He let out a startled, choked breath, lips tipping up into the widest smile I had ever seen only to moments later come crashing down and contorting into deep sobs. He nearly fell out of his chair, tossing his body towards mine,