Chapter TWENTY EIGHT - Eavesdrop

We made it back in time for dinner and I bid the boys goodbye, watching Sebastian's eyes closely. I knew he would be in the Undercroft tonight. I doubted he would spend his evenings anywhere else now. I just hoped that he wouldn't mind the company.

While the two decided to head to the Great Hall, I resolved to spending some time by myself in the library. I had already handed Ominis his books back and the lighter load soothed the ache slightly in my shoulder.

It was just me and the books of the library now. 

I'm not sure how long I sat there but after awhile, my eyes felt heavy and my muscles as if they might collapse under the pressure of the day. So I sunk further into my spot in the corner. The same spot I had met Sebastian for the first time. Something about that comforted me tonight.

I didn't pull any books from my bag or the towering shelves. Instead, I let my weight lean back into the chair, let my arms hang down and my head hang back. My eyelids closed and I took my first deep breath since Sebastian's encounter with the Boggart earlier today.

Flashes of his face intruded on the darkness behind my lids. Goosebumps rose on my arms at the memory of the way his eyes had looked so much like holes to his soul. 

A burning soul. 

A soul that would burn the world.

And that sad smile he had given me just before he had pulled the pieces together. It scared me. But it also felt like home.

"Excuse me Madam Auror. Is this seat taken?"

My brain slammed back into my body and I shot upright.

Sebastian was smiling gently and tapping the spot directly across the desk from me.

"I thought you were getting something to eat."

"I thought I was too, and then I saw the food... realized I wasn't much hungry for anything." His eyes said the rest.

"And Ominis?"

"Believe it or not, after he finished eating, he's the one who actually suggested I come find you."

"Did he really?"

"Sort of. Told me I needed to clear my head. And to me, that means talk to you." He tapped the back of the seat again and arched a brow.

I nodded my head quickly, realizing I hadn't yet answered his initial question.

He plopped into the seat and let his bones hang just as I had been doing a moment ago. His head to the ceiling. "This is actually quite comfortable. I think you might be on to something Barlowe."

"Sometimes it just feels good to let go." My lips twitched.

"Sometimes."

He sat back up and leaned his arms onto the table, folding them flat and laying his head right on top, just watching me.

"What are you doing tonight?"

"Just waiting for midnight so I can meet up with you." I answered honestly and he smiled the toothy grin he'd flashed the first time I'd seen him in this corner of the library.

"Mind if I wait with you?"

"I suppose not."

----

We sat in comfortable silence at that table until the librarian came to kick us out, eyeing Sebastian suspiciously and then smirking slightly at me.

He mentioned that Ominis had gone to bed early and the Undercroft would be safe to go to now should we wish. I agreed but told him I needed to stop by my room first, if only for a change of clothes and to let Marlene know I was alright. It seemed to be an unspoken rule between us that she wanted to know when I wasn't in our room. Perhaps others would be irritated by her protective spirit, but I found it comforting. For the first time since my family's passing, I had someone who cared about my wellbeing.

Sebastian nodded and walked me all the way to the entrance of the Gryffindor common room. He began walking back and forth down the hallway, studying the paintings as I darted inside. Opting for a pair of corduroy pants and a soft oversized red and gold sweatshirt, I left a small note next to Marlene's bed. It was scrawled sloppily in my hurry but I hoped it would still be legible. Poor girl was already asleep.

I crouched back out of the portrait hole to find Sebastian had stopped walking and was paying particular attention to one of the paintings near the end of the hallway.

Upon stepping a bit closer, I noticed a pair of children running around a rickety old rocking chair. One boy and one girl. They were laughing excitedly and playing a rambunctious game of tag.

I didn't realize the extent of his interest until I spoke. "Do you need to change at all?"

Sebastian startled and wiped quickly at the corner of his right eye. "No! Nope. I changed before coming to the library actually. I'm all set."

I instantly regretted shocking him out of his thoughts.

We approached the Undercroft under the safety of our disillusionment charms, and tucked our bodies inside quickly. The familiarity of coming here every night wrapped protectively over my arms and torso.

Sebastian tucked the plate from our pancakes near the door as a reminder to grab it and bring it to the kitchens when he left. We hadn't had much time to clean up this morning in our hurry. Once everything had been cleared away, he practically belly flopped into the pile of pillows, pulling out one of his largest books from his bag.

I sat down cross legged next to him and pulled out my own.

No sooner had we opened our respective texts did the gate to the Undercroft creak open and Sebastian and I were on our feet in a moment. He pulled me just behind his shoulder, our hearts pounding in our chests.

"Sebastian? Are you here?" A rather disheveled Ominis walked in, hair slightly mussy and clothes slightly wrinkled. I had never seen him look anything other than perfectly presentable.

Sebastian stiffened and tucked me further behind him.

"Yes."

Ominis began to make his way over and Sebastian nodded to one of the pillars. I slipped behind it, holding my breath and feeling ice run through my veins. Everything about this felt wrong.

"I thought you might be. I- I couldn't sleep so I decided to join you." Ominis sighed. "Have you found anything yet?"

"Honestly Ominis, I just sat down to read."

Ominis stopped a few paces from Sebastian and dropped his arms, crossing his wrists. He smirked slightly before he spoke.

"Atley, come out here darling. It's rude to eavesdrop."