Chapter FIFTY ONE - Detention

The rest of the day came and went and before I knew it, Ominis was sending us off to detention - Sebastian was far too excited about the whole ordeal.

"I wonder what they'll have planned this time?" He grinned as we walked side by side.

"Do? Is detention not just sitting in an empty classroom, writing lines, staring at a wall or something like that?"

Sebastian snapped his head over to me. "Merlin, what kind of detentions were you getting? That sounds terribly grim."

"What sort of detentions do you get here?" I was starting to get nervous, what if they needed me to fly around outside on a broom and clean the windows of the castle or something equally as terrifying.

"You'll see Barlowe." He patted my shoulder. "You'll see."

We stepped into Professor Weasley's classroom at precisely nine pm, wood floor creaking below our boots. The red haired witch poked her head out from behind an oversized chalkboard.

"Ah Mr. Sallow, Miss Barlowe. Right on time."

She took a few shuffled steps towards us and held out one hand, palm up, and the other tucked behind her back, lips pulled into a tight smile.

I looked to Sebastian, confused, but he looked just as perplexed as I did, jaw open and eyes bouncing between the professor's face and hand.

"Uhhhh... excuse me for saying professor, but- I don't think dancing with a teacher is a reasonable nor acceptable punishment..."

"Your bag Mr. Sallow. Hand me your bags please. And your robes, you won't be needing them." She sounded incredibly unamused.

Sebastian mouthed a silent "oh" and lifted his strap up and over his shoulder, placing it on the professor's hand before turning to grab mine as well. Professor Weasley's arm sunk quickly with the weight of both bags and she grunted in surprise. We shimmied out of our robes and handed her those as well.

"Merlin's beard. I didn't know you were both carrying the entire library around on your shoulders!" She laughed and hauled the bags over behind her desk. I watched closely, worrying about the ancient text inside. "Your poor muscles!"

"We're a lot tougher than we look Professor." Sebastian flexed and gave me a sideways grin. "Especially Barlowe over here."

Professor Weasley laughed quietly. "I don't doubt that Mr. Sallow. Now," She had returned to stand in front of us. "Follow me to your detention."

The hallways were starting to clear out as we wound through them but a few students still hung out in the corners. A couple of them even fist bumped Sebastian behind Professor Weasley's back as we passed.

Our footsteps echoed over the stairs as we wound down further and further until all that was left was the area outside the Hufflepuff common room and the entrance to the kitchens.

Professor Weasley walked directly over to the painting and raised her wand to the pear. Sebastian and I gave each other an excited look.

The painting swung open and we were immediately drenched with the smell of tomato and garlic, my mouth began to water, stomach grumbling.

Sebastian, Ominis and I had ditched dinner in favor of spending some more time in the undercroft with Ominis attempting to teach Sebastian the Patronus Charm. When nothing seemed to be working, the two had spent at least an hour sat on the pillows, recounting old memories, trying to come up with something powerful enough.

Nothing seemed to quite do the trick though and the conversation went downhill quickly.

"What about the time you, Anne and I watched that terribly clumsy first year who forgot to tie his boots and ended up tripping into Professor Sharp? I think we laughed ourselves silly that day." Ominis twisted his wand around on the floor like a bottle.